Austro-Hungarian army WW1 movie - question

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Tim Bowler

Austro-Hungarian army WW1 movie - question

Post by Tim Bowler » 02 Jul 2007, 10:41

Hi there,

I am new to this forum - and I am very impressed by the depth of knowledge everybody has here. I wonder if somebody here could help with a (fictional) movie that I half remember.

My apologies if somebody has already answered this question elsewhere on the forum.

It was a (fictional) portayal of a KuK army unit somewhere on the eastern frontier of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the months leading up to the outbreak of WW1.

The fort is isolated and the garrison in it are basically left to stew. During the film tensions between the men come to a head, with some in the unit going mad. In the end the unit commander decides enough is enough, and pulls out.

The final scene of the movie -- after the Austro-Hungarians have left - is of the Russians attacking the now empty fort.

I know this film was doing the art-house cinema circuit in Britain c. 1981-84 and I guess that it was made either by a Russian/Hungarian/Austrian/Polish/Czech director. But beyond that I have no information.

If anybody can help me I would be very grateful.

Tim

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 18 Jul 2007, 20:17

There is Czechoslovak movie named Signum Laudis (1980). Story is little bit similar to what you had wrote.

Tim Bowler

Post by Tim Bowler » 25 Jul 2007, 13:37

Hi Kacko,

Thank you very much for this, I shall check out the film now, I appreciate your help

best wishes

Tim

manuel

Post by manuel » 16 Aug 2007, 15:07

It sounds like a movie called "Il deserto dei tartari", a movie of the end of '70s based on the novel of italian Dino Buzzati. The production was italian, french, german and iranian.

The movie changed some parts of the novel and placed it during AH period.

The music was from Ennio Moricone. Among the other actors: Max Von Sydow, Philippe Noiret, Vittorio Gassman and Giuliano Gemma. Movie's director was Valerio Zurlini.

The movie was made in the iranian fortress of Arg-e-Bam.

Tim Bowler

Post by Tim Bowler » 16 Aug 2007, 15:46

Thank you very much for this! :D
I am sure this is the movie that I half remember a friend going to see at the arts cinema in Cambridge in about 1983.

I have now ordered it from Amazon

thank you once again

Tim

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”