Organization of A-H supply and support units

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
clandestino

Organization of A-H supply and support units

Post by clandestino » 01 Mar 2013, 13:06

How were those organized on divisional and corps level in war time? Were the support units ( trains, munitions columns, hospitals etc) organically attached to division or to corps? If I'm not wrong the corresponding units in German Imperial army were corps units, not divisional. Also what was their organization and of which units and services they were composed, manpower etc. Question is in regard of the organization at the beginning of the war cause I know that the peace time organization was much different and that latter during the war organization changed. So we are talking about August 1914.

clandestino

Re: Organization of A-H supply and support units

Post by clandestino » 15 Mar 2013, 16:27

Hello, http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/ doesn't have nothing about this, or at least I can't find it. I found some Russian book with very detailed overview of organisation and formation of A-H army in both peace and war time. According to this work support units were in fact organically attached to division and they consisted of train squadron, 4 artillery ammunition columns, 4 howitzer ammunition columns, 4 infantry ammunition columns, medical service, infantry supply column and field bakery. I'm still trying to decipher their exact manpower.

Zoltan

Re: Organization of A-H supply and support units

Post by Zoltan » 29 Dec 2017, 05:44

Hi Clandestino - did you ever find out anything more about the AH traintruppe? My father was assigned to Traindivision Nr. 6 in 1915 and I am keen to learn anything I can about these formations.

There's some good text info and diagrams in J.S.Lucas Austro-Hungarian Infantry 1914-1918 (Almark Publications, 1973). I picked up a cheap copy online but message me if you want me to give you more info about it.

Cheers!
Imre

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”