colonel redl

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Balrog

colonel redl

Post by Balrog » 12 Apr 2003 14:07

i watched the movie on "colonel redl" by hungarian director strvabo. he paints a picture of redl as the victim of anti-semitism framed by arch-duke franz ferdinand. what i've read of redl, every account says that he was guilty as charged, and that the historicaly disagreements lay only in how he was really caught spying and the reasons why. the motives were either that the russians blackmailed him about his hidden homosexuality. the other reason being incredible greed and the enjoyment of the high life led by redl. the way he was caught was that one of his spies caught him accidentally, or a wild story that redl actually suffered from depression, killed himself, and that afer his house was searched they discovered that he was a spy, and made up the capture story to save military intelligence reputation. so. what is the true story on redl? guilty or innocent? the movie, true or not, is still well made. i even bought a dvd copy of it.

FW

Post by FW » 12 Apr 2003 14:59

I saw that movie a couple of years ago. I didn't think Redl was Jewish but was a scapegoat because he was Ukrainian and not Hungarian.

coldam
In memoriam

Post by coldam » 18 Apr 2003 02:16

hi
Colonel Redl
(was he head of A/H Military Intelligence?)
sold the Austro/Hungarian order of battle and the A/H warplans
to the Russians.
In 1912?
In Austria he was/is still considered guilty.
Upon his arrest he was given a pistol with one bullet
- standard procedure - the 'honorable way out'
especially if it was considered inconvenient to have the guilty person
talk 'out of school'.

I would like to find out more, too...

...peter

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 18 Apr 2003 17:25

i read somewhere that he sold the plans for austria's invasion of serbia, and that is why the serbs were able to hold off the austrian-hungarian army for as long as they did. i don't know how true that is.

FW

Post by FW » 18 Apr 2003 20:49

without disgracing my ancestry too much I think its safe to say that plans or no plans the Austrians:

A. Shouldn't have had trouble with Serbia

but

B. Probably would have had trouble anyway based on how they handled the war effort

I know that doesn't make any sense

Geheime Feldpolizei

Redl Movie

Post by Geheime Feldpolizei » 10 Dec 2003 19:03

I saw the movie, "Oberst Redl," that you are referring to and I am also fairly familiar with the case. I would caution you to consider sources. The movie was based on a play, and playwrights are simply not known for their historical accuracy. (If in doubt, ask any Thai person what they think of Hollywood's "The King and I," for example). Of course, researching the whole case is difficult since there is a comparative lack of source material.

The Redl case is often provided as an example of why people who could be potentially blackmailed (i.e., closeted homosexuals) should not be employed in responsible positions of trust.

agibaer

Re: Redl Movie

Post by agibaer » 11 Dec 2003 13:04

I think you're referring to the movie "oberst Redl" directed by Istvan Szabó with Klaus Maria Brandauer. Saw it just a few weeks ago and think it's pretty good.

Here's a good site with info on Redl, for a change not just from the movie like most other pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/oz/1spy/Redl.html

Geheime Feldpolizei wrote:I saw the movie, "Oberst Redl," that you are referring to and I am also fairly familiar with the case. I would caution you to consider sources. The movie was based on a play, and playwrights are simply not known for their historical accuracy. (If in doubt, ask any Thai person what they think of Hollywood's "The King and I," for example). Of course, researching the whole case is difficult since there is a comparative lack of source material.

The Redl case is often provided as an example of why people who could be potentially blackmailed (i.e., closeted homosexuals) should not be employed in responsible positions of trust.

But how is one supposed to know i someone is a hidden homosexual? If they knew it wouldn't be a secret anymore :lol:
And you can blackmail everyone who has kids, a wife, sisters brothers etc. And Redl received money as well.

regards
robert

Geheime Feldpolizei

Redl

Post by Geheime Feldpolizei » 11 Dec 2003 21:33

True enough. I was not suggesting the practice was legitimate, rather that it was "accepted" during the period in question. Nor was I suggesting that homosexuals are the only group of people capable of being successfully blackmailed. Nor, I might add, was that the point of my posting. The Brandauer movie was ok, but lacked quite a bit insofar as the story was concerned. Afterall, as I previously stated, it was based on a play.

agibaer

Re: Redl

Post by agibaer » 12 Dec 2003 03:49

Geheime Feldpolizei wrote:True enough. I was not suggesting the practice was legitimate, rather that it was "accepted" during the period in question. Nor was I suggesting that homosexuals are the only group of people capable of being successfully blackmailed. Nor, I might add, was that the point of my posting. The Brandauer movie was ok, but lacked quite a bit insofar as the story was concerned. Afterall, as I previously stated, it was based on a play.

I know the movie is based more on the gay perspective than on the luxuri and money perspective. The movie is still good in my opinion cause theres so few movies (international) bout austria-hungary.
I just found it amusing to ban a certain kind off secret services without knowing wat they really are :D

regards,
robert

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”