Please ID K.u.K. Oberst

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
kaisertreu

Re: Please ID K.u.K. Oberst

Post by kaisertreu » 04 Mar 2019 06:34

Hi Christian,

I still think Wilhelm Hettinger is our best guess. The photo may not have been taken in 1938, but earlier and merely attributed to that date?

Thank you fir the information on the Heller Commission. It would be an awesome project to collate the Heller Information into one easily searchable/useable location.

Regards,
Ian

Frech
Forum Staff

Post by Frech » 04 Mar 2019 07:39

kaisertreu wrote:
04 Mar 2019 06:34
Hi Christian,

I still think Wilhelm Hettinger is our best guess. The photo may not have been taken in 1938, but earlier and merely attributed to that date?

Thank you fir the information on the Heller Commission. It would be an awesome project to collate the Heller Information into one easily searchable/useable location.

Regards,
Ian
Dear Ian,

I am quite sure that an Austrian officer would not have worn a swastika on his sleeve before March 12th 1938. This started during and after the "Anschluss".

The results of Heller decisions are sometimes to find in personel files about officers who were employed in the Bundesheer from 1920 onwards. But they are very rare. I attach an example out of the personal file for Rudolf Zu der Luth (source: Österr. Staatsarchiv/Archiv der Republik: Grundbuchblatt Rudolf Zu der Luth).

Regards

Christian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frech
Forum Staff

Post by Frech » 04 Mar 2019 08:03

We should lay our focus on Karl Nobile Divizioli and Eugen von Erlach.

I have no idea if they were still alive in 1938. But it is possible that they were bestowed Iron Crown 2nd class by Heller. The rest of their war decorations would fit.

Regards

Christian

kaisertreu

Post by kaisertreu » 04 Mar 2019 08:31

Quite right about the swastika...I completely missed it. (bad me!) If my information on his date of death is factual it well and truly rules out Wilhelm Hettinger.

A quick check of the 1918 Rangliste indicates that Karl Noble Divizioli is probably the best bet of the two, but I will be guided by others.

As an aside I saved the photo to my lap top for comparison purposes and once I did so I noticed that the title 'probably Oberst Felix Steiner' appears. Possibly a false lead, but maybe worth a quick investigation?

Regards,
Ian

Frech
Forum Staff

Post by Frech » 04 Mar 2019 13:14

kaisertreu wrote:
04 Mar 2019 08:31
Quite right about the swastika...I completely missed it. (bad me!) If my information on his date of death is factual it well and truly rules out Wilhelm Hettinger.

A quick check of the 1918 Rangliste indicates that Karl Noble Divizioli is probably the best bet of the two, but I will be guided by others.

As an aside I saved the photo to my lap top for comparison purposes and once I did so I noticed that the title 'probably Oberst Felix Steiner' appears. Possibly a false lead, but maybe worth a quick investigation?

Regards,
Ian
A quick investigations says that there was no Oberst Felix Steiner in the k.u.k. army in 1918. Maybe the later famous Felix Steiner was standing on the opposite side?

Regards

Christian

kaisertreu

Post by kaisertreu » 04 Mar 2019 20:49

I wasn't able to locate any Oberst/Oberstleutnant Felix Steiner either. False lead and the search continues.

Regards,
Ian

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”