K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
User avatar
Balrog
Member
Posts: 1231
Joined: 17 Feb 2003 15:09
Location: USA, North Carolina/Manchukuo/Dominican Republic

K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Balrog » 15 Oct 2018 17:18

I read that Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf's grave had been declared an Ehrengrab (grave of honor) when he was buried, but that it was changed into a historical grave in 2012. So, does that mean his grave site was downgraded?

User avatar
Frech
Forum Staff
Posts: 1745
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 08:27
Location: Austria

Re: K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Frech » 15 Oct 2018 17:46

Balrog wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:18
I read that Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf's grave had been declared an Ehrengrab (grave of honor) when he was buried, but that it was changed into a historical grave in 2012. So, does that mean his grave site was downgraded?
Yes, that´s it exactly.

Kindest

Christian

User avatar
Balrog
Member
Posts: 1231
Joined: 17 Feb 2003 15:09
Location: USA, North Carolina/Manchukuo/Dominican Republic

Re: K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Balrog » 15 Oct 2018 17:48

Frech wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:46
Balrog wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:18
I read that Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf's grave had been declared an Ehrengrab (grave of honor) when he was buried, but that it was changed into a historical grave in 2012. So, does that mean his grave site was downgraded?
Yes, that´s it exactly.

Kindest

Christian
Well, why? Has his reputation suffered so much as to warrant that?

A lot of people considered him to be an excellent commander. The Soviet Army General Boris Shaposhnikov held him up as the ideal commander in his book The Brain of the Army ( Mozg Armii (Мозг армии)).
Last edited by Balrog on 15 Oct 2018 17:54, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Frech
Forum Staff
Posts: 1745
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 08:27
Location: Austria

Re: K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Frech » 15 Oct 2018 17:52

Balrog wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:48
Frech wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:46
Balrog wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:18
I read that Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf's grave had been declared an Ehrengrab (grave of honor) when he was buried, but that it was changed into a historical grave in 2012. So, does that mean his grave site was downgraded?
Yes, that´s it exactly.

Kindest

Christian
Well, why? Has his reputation suffered so much as to warrant that?
It´s hard to explain. Just for short: lefties at work....

Christian

User avatar
Balrog
Member
Posts: 1231
Joined: 17 Feb 2003 15:09
Location: USA, North Carolina/Manchukuo/Dominican Republic

Re: K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Balrog » 15 Oct 2018 17:53

Frech wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:52
Balrog wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:48
Frech wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:46
Balrog wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:18
I read that Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf's grave had been declared an Ehrengrab (grave of honor) when he was buried, but that it was changed into a historical grave in 2012. So, does that mean his grave site was downgraded?
Yes, that´s it exactly.

Kindest

Christian
Well, why? Has his reputation suffered so much as to warrant that?
It´s hard to explain. Just for short: lefties at work....

Christian
I have not had a lot of luck researching this, so please let me have the details.

User avatar
Frech
Forum Staff
Posts: 1745
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 08:27
Location: Austria

Re: K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Frech » 16 Oct 2018 04:05

You can read it here. It was´n just Conrads grave there were about 100 to be checked wether the "owner" was worth an "Ehrengrab" or not.

It is quite an accident that Dollfuß´ grave is at the opposite side of Conrad´s on Hietzinger Friedhof in Vienna:

https://derstandard.at/1345166131846/Do ... rab-werden

Kindest

Christian

User avatar
Balrog
Member
Posts: 1231
Joined: 17 Feb 2003 15:09
Location: USA, North Carolina/Manchukuo/Dominican Republic

Re: K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Balrog » 16 Oct 2018 13:48

I read the article, but I didn't catch why they downgraded the Feldmarschall's grave. Was is that the Greens just don't like (non-communist) soldiers? He was part of the Hapsburg machine. What's wrong with that?

I know Conrad's reputation has taken a beating over the years, but I have never read that he was a sinister person.

While I'm here, how do Austrians view Habsburg war heroes?

User avatar
Balrog
Member
Posts: 1231
Joined: 17 Feb 2003 15:09
Location: USA, North Carolina/Manchukuo/Dominican Republic

Re: K.u.K Feldmarschall Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf Grave

Post by Balrog » 24 Oct 2018 06:04

Frech wrote:
16 Oct 2018 04:05
You can read it here. It was´n just Conrads grave there were about 100 to be checked wether the "owner" was worth an "Ehrengrab" or not.

It is quite an accident that Dollfuß´ grave is at the opposite side of Conrad´s on Hietzinger Friedhof in Vienna:

https://derstandard.at/1345166131846/Do ... rab-werden

Kindest

Christian
I have to admit, I read the article--at least my imperfect translation of it--and I still don't understand why Conrad's grave was downgraded. Please explain it to me.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”