Military Academies in Austro-Hungary, where were they located.

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Poldi

Military Academies in Austro-Hungary, where were they located.

Post by Poldi » 01 Feb 2019, 05:24

Where were the military schools located, particulary from 1850 to 1860 and how can one find a list of pupils?

Frech
Forum Staff

Re: Military Academies in Austro-Hungary, where were they located.

Post by Frech » 01 Feb 2019, 10:23

Poldi wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 05:24
Where were the military schools located, particulary from 1850 to 1860 and how can one find a list of pupils?
You will find a list of military schools here: https://library.hungaricana.hu/en/view/ ... 8&layout=s

Regards

Christian

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 01 Feb 2019, 11:42

The most famous officer's academy is the Theresian Military Academy, Wiener Neustadt, which I can't see in the linked list. Are those Regimental recruit deports? I would imagine it ought to be possible to find class lists

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 01 Feb 2019, 14:32

I guess the best source in this case is the Austrian National Archives.
http://www.archivinformationssystem.at/suchinfo.aspx
You can change the language settings in the upper right corner.

@Sheldrake, what you´re looking for starts on p. 750, but you need to type 778 to get on the correct page.

Poldi

Post by Poldi » 03 Feb 2019, 06:36

history1 wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 14:32
I guess the best source in this case is the Austrian National Archives.
http://www.archivinformationssystem.at/suchinfo.aspx
You can change the language settings in the upper right corner.

@Sheldrake, what you´re looking for starts on p. 750, but you need to type 778 to get on the correct page.
I still can't find anything about his education. He's first mentioned in Militärschematismus in 1859 when 19 years old as an Unterlieutenant 2. Classe. In 1867-1868 He's mentioned as an Unterlieutenant and from 1869 to 1871 as an Oberlieutenant. So it seems to me that his career was moving fine until he got hurt. Could somebody start military 1859 as 19 years old without attending military school? My guess is probably not. In 1872 He's discharged due to being Ganzinvalid. Unfortunately I'm not an expert on military, I have degree in Art History and Photography and don't speak German so I'm hitting the wall when it comes to his formal education. In 1874 he moved to Fiume where he opened a photography studio that was very successful and in upcoming years he opened a studio in Vienna and in 1900 he moves to Budapest. He writes books and in magazines about photography which at the time was quite revolutionary. He was an skilled painter too.

I'm working on the exhibition and a book about his life and work, which will happen in Croatia in 2020 (and i'm hopping in Austria and Hungary) Have pretty much his whole life mapped out except his military career and where did he learn photography and that's why I'm here hopping that one of you experts can point me in right direction. Unfortunately, nobody knows how he looked as there's no photos of him left, there's one of him from behind taken by his good friend which makes me believe that something must have happened to his face so my hope is that maybe there's some graduation photo of him.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 03 Feb 2019, 10:29

I didn´t mean that you will find your informations necessarily online but they have most likely what you´re looking for. I`m sure that they speak English.
BTW, it´s hard to help for everyone here when hunting a ghost.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”