Auschwitz

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Chadwick

Auschwitz

Post by Chadwick » 14 Jun 2003 07:30

I am looking for someone who can confirm information I learned from a military history article which stated that the Auschwitz camp originally was an Austro-Hungarian Cavalry post. Anyone with information about this or pictures showing Austro-Hungarian cavalry forces stationed at the Auschwitz camp would be appreciated.

thanks,

Chadwick :)

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 15 Jun 2003 15:51

It may well be that there was a army camp in Auschwitz during Austro-Hungarian times. The new republic of Poland anyhow based an horse artillery battalion in Auschwitz during the interwar years. I'am sad to write that i have no pictures of this.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » 17 Jun 2003 04:22

Thank you for your reply. Actually Mr. Mills supplied the following information which others on this link might find interesting.

Mr. Mills wrote: The town of Auschwitz was until 1918 situated in the Austrian provine of Galicia; this was the Polish territory annexed by the Habsburg Empire in 1773.

It was quite close to the border between Galicia and the German province of Silesia, hence the need for a border-crossing control point and a garrison thre.

The complex of buildings which was converted into the Auschwitz Stammlager in 1940 was built before the First World War as a barracks for the Austrian Army. After the war, when Auschwitz along with the whole of Galicia had been handed over to the resurrected Polish state, the barracks were used by the Polish Army. Subsequently, the buildings were used by the Polish State Tobacco Monopoly for storage.

The origin of the buildings of the Auschwitz Stammlager as an Austrian Army barracks accounts for their solid brick construction, which contrast with that of the flimsy wooden stables erected at Birkenau.

Chadwick :)

bundi

about Auschwitz and the Austro- Hungarian times

Post by bundi » 06 Sep 2003 17:43

Galicia was part of the Austrian- Hungarian empire.

But...! Austria had no permission to have military forces in Galicia, in Moldva, in Halics, etc.

Auschwitz wasn't a military base before the wars!
Auschwitz was near a galician village, where was the trading centre of that region, so it can be, that there was some kind of local army, which guarded the village.

Leutnant

Post by Leutnant » 22 Feb 2004 13:15

Auschwitz were'nt in Galicia or am I completely wrong?

Isn't Galicia the area around Lemberg and Tarnopol, and not as far west as Krakow?

Orok

Re: about Auschwitz and the Austro- Hungarian times

Post by Orok » 27 Feb 2004 22:17

bundi wrote:Austria had no permission to have military forces in Galicia, ...

Hi bundi,

I don't quite understand your statement as quoted above. To my best knowledge, at least 17 of the 102 line infantry regiments of the K.u.K Army were raised in Galicia and garrisoned there just before WWI. Also 4 of the 32 Jäger battalions were Galician. There were also artillery and fortress units stationed in Galicia, including the famous Fortress of Przemyśl!

Can you please give us the source of your statement?

Best Regards!

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”