unknown KUK Engineer officer

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
stevebecker

unknown KUK Engineer officer

Post by stevebecker » 20 Jul 2022 06:30

Mates,

I known its impossible to confirm, but here goes.

During the Jif Jaffa operation along the Suez in Sinai during April 1916, an Austrian Engineer officer was captured by Aussie Light Horse where he was improving a water point for the Ottomans

I can't find who this man was, as no record gives a name just a KUK Engineer officer

Do any of your sources show who he maybe?

There were not a lot of Austrian Officers in Palestine/Egypt at that time, so can you id him?

British PoW reports I checked don't appear to name him, unless I missed him?
Red Cross reports also don't list him, again unless I missed him?

Cheers

S.B

IanE

Re: unknown KUK Engineer officer

Post by IanE » 20 Jul 2022 06:47

G'day Steve,

I to have often searched for the mysterious 'Engineer Officer', and I have come to the conclusion that he was either a civilian engineer or totally misidentified.

I for one would be wrapped to be proven wrong and the individual is eventually identified.

Regrads,
Ian

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 22 Jul 2022 06:22

Mate,

yes this is not the first time I went looking on other sites.

I am also thinking he maybe a civy, or was not an officer but a SNCO of some type

Accounts mention

"Six Turkish troops were killed in the action. The Austrian engineer officer in charge of the well boring and 34 Turks and Arabs were captured. Five of the captured were wounded, including one who was too seriously injured to be evacuated. He was treated and left at the post when the attacking force withdrew. According to the Austrian officer, the post had been occupied by himself, 25 troops of the 4th Battalion, 79th Regiment, 27th Division, 8th Army Corps of the 4th Turkish Army and 15 members of an Arab labour corps -- a total of 41. (10) It would appear that the whole of the post's garrison was accounted for, but two personnel mounted on camels were seen to gallop away in an easterly direction as the firefight started. These personnel may have been visiting from a neighbouring post and narrowly escaped being caught up in the action."

So he gave a lot of info to his captures, they must have recorded his name either with the 9 LHR or with the Red Cross after there return from the raid.

But I am not seeing i,t or any Austrian captured around that time in Egypt in any Offical PoW reports.

S.B

IanE

Post by IanE » 22 Jul 2022 11:06

Steve,

Just a thought, but what if the individual (reserve NCO or Civilian) was not taken as a POW, but merely detained, questioned and then released? Highly unlikely, but..

However, I did find the following (no help I am afraid): The officer in charge of the enemy force, an Austrian engineer by the name of Eberlein*, was captured, and was found to be leading a boring and well making party using a German artesian plant.

* There was no Officer in the Austro-Hungarian Army with the surname of Eberlein. Either the surname has been misspelt or Eberlein was a Kadett/Fähnrich, a Non-Commissioned Officer or a civilian and therefore not listed in the official k.u.k. or k.k. Schematismus.

Regards,
Ian

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 22 Jul 2022 22:54

Mate,
Nice one, at lest thats a name to look further into.
There were a number of Germans who worked in this field I found with the Ottomans

Beyer Lt Eng Ingenieur (Engineer officer) - Filistin'de su sondaj islerinde Yüzbasi Range'nin yardimcisi (Afghan Range in the water drilling work in Palestine)
Bork (Borck) Erich Capt Eng EBSK 11 (Eisenbahnsonderkommando) special railroad service command - Eisenbahn-Sonder-Kompagnie 11 - used on the Hedschasbahn (Hedjaz Railway) - Afule'de su sondaji birlikleri komutani (OberIngenieur commander Water drilling units in Afule Palestine)
Graeve Edlen Otto Von Maj Eng StabsIngenieur (Engineer officer) (Water drilling units in Palestine)
Klingspor Lt Eng Ingenieur (Engineer officer) - Musul'da Petrol sondaj subayi (Oil drilling submaster in Mosul) Mesopotamia
Range Eng Ingenieur (Engineer officer) - Filistin cephesinde su ve sondaj isleri bölümü baskani (Head of Department of Water and Drilling Affairs on the Palestinian front) & Filistin'de Tiberia'da bölge komutani (Regional commander in Tiberia in Palestine)
Reikes Lt Bohr-Sonderkommando 1 - Special Command water drilling unit

So they were in the field during the water improving the water supply, only no KUK officers as yet
S.B

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”