army pensions

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Balrog

army pensions

Post by Balrog » 27 Jul 2003 02:22

i would like to know if the austrian government paid pensions to it's retired or crippled soldiers after ww1. did the soldiers(retired or left invalid) who ended up as citizens of the newly created counties of poland, czeckslovakia, hungary, yugoslavia, etc, recieve any kind of pensions? i know ausitria was financially ruined after ww1, so was there any money left for anyone? i read that Pope john Paul's father was a hapsburg army officer, and recieved a small pension. who paid that pension? austria or poland?
Last edited by Balrog on 21 Aug 2003 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

commander

Pensions

Post by commander » 21 Aug 2003 12:37

Yes they did, but only to those who signed a declaration of loyality to their new fatherland. This means: If they were located in Poland, they had to apply for Polish citizenship, no matter if they were Hungarians, Ukrainians or whatever. For that reason, my granduncle, for instance, who originally came from the province of Galicia which became part of the new Polish state, moved to Austria because he did not want to deny his Germandom. His pension of colonel was not much but surely more than he could expect in Poland.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 21 Aug 2003 13:29

so what you mean is, that if a hapsburg army colonel lived in poland, and he applied for polish citizenship, the new polish government would grant him a pension for his haspburg service? was that standard in the other new countries like czechoslovakia and hungry?

commander

Pensions

Post by commander » 21 Aug 2003 14:09

Yes, so it was, and I think the other successor states treated them similar. I mean, they did it not because of generosity or whatever, they had a serious interest to keep these high skilled militaries in their countries to build up new armies.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 21 Aug 2003 14:16

yes, that must have been the case for Pope john paul II's father. he returned to poland in 1918 from a career in the hapsburg army and promptly joined the newly formed 12th infantry regiment of the new polish republic. he fought in the 1918-1920 russian-polish war. i've been reading that the father "had a small pension" and always wondered who paid it. thank you for the information, commander.

commander

Post by commander » 21 Aug 2003 14:21

It's been a pleasure, Joel. I was just reading the posts about the pope's father and wanted to reply, because I have a faximile of his "Konduiteliste" (military record) about all his ranks and education etc. Maybe I will scan it later this afternoon or so.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”