an odd question (need help to get information about a photo)

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Ostmark

an odd question (need help to get information about a photo)

Post by Ostmark » 02 Sep 2003, 23:27

Please feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong place to post it.

I have a photo of my grandfathers father in a uniform, austrian, from WW1 which i would like to have more information about. I do not know more than his full name and where he lived. I would like to know where he was stationed, if he was an infantryman, private or higher rank etc etc - well, i would like to know as much as possible about what he did during the war if that's possible. I prefer not to put the photo up on the forum, i guess im just sensitive about showing photos of my family for anyone, so i would prefer if someone who has alot of experiance about this subject could respond so i could send him/her the photo via E-mail or something like that.

Thanks.

_The_General_

Post by _The_General_ » 03 Sep 2003, 00:57

hi, what you could do is use a program like paint and put a black block over the face of the person. you don't need to tell the name of him.

than we can look at the type of uniform and type of decorations?

Ostmark

Post by Ostmark » 03 Sep 2003, 01:19

_The_General_ wrote:hi, what you could do is use a program like paint and put a black block over the face of the person. you don't need to tell the name of him.

than we can look at the type of uniform and type of decorations?
Good idea. Thanks.
Im on it.

Ostmark

Post by Ostmark » 03 Sep 2003, 01:37

Here he is.

From Niederösterreich if that's any help. Died during the war, do not know when or where.

And here's the url to a high resolution photo (2MB big) http://medlem.spray.se/ost1938/9.jpg

If u need more information, let me know.
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

Galicia

Post by Galicia » 03 Sep 2003, 06:04

Your great-grandfather was a "Korporal," probably infantry. He enlisted prior to 1916, and was probably killed c. 1914-1915 as a guess. I say this because in 1916, all cap badges were converted to have the letter "K" for Kaiser Karl, since the Old Man, (Franz Joseph), died in that year. However, it could have been later as the "K" was not universal due to supplies, etc. He is also wearing either a small silver or bronze bravery medal.

Ostmark

Post by Ostmark » 03 Sep 2003, 16:55

Galicia wrote:Your great-grandfather was a "Korporal," probably infantry. He enlisted prior to 1916, and was probably killed c. 1914-1915 as a guess. I say this because in 1916, all cap badges were converted to have the letter "K" for Kaiser Karl, since the Old Man, (Franz Joseph), died in that year. However, it could have been later as the "K" was not universal due to supplies, etc. He is also wearing either a small silver or bronze bravery medal.
Thanks alot! Very fascinating indeed - what was necessary to do to get the "bravery medal"? And what was the differance between the silver/bronze medal.

Galicia

Post by Galicia » 11 Sep 2003, 00:53

I believe commit an act of bravery. I read a passage a little while ago mocking the whole system, giving medals to the Other Ranks was looked down upon.

Orok

Post by Orok » 08 Oct 2003, 18:13

Ostmark wrote: (...) what was necessary to do to get the "bravery medal"? And what was the differance between the silver/bronze medal.
Austro-Hungarian Empire Medal for bravery

Medal Established: July 19, 1789

Award Classes: Gold, Silver 1st and 2nd class, Bronze

Criteria of Award: The Bravery Medal was awarded to all military personnel for acts of bravery in combat. Each subsequent act of bravery merited a bar in the appropriate class.

Medals minted during the WWI conflict:
Gold - 3,700
Silver 1st Class - 143,000
Silver 2nd Class - 384,000
Bronze - 950,000

Silver 2nd Class

Judging from the sheer number of medals, it wouldn't be too hard to get one! :lol:

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”