Justice for Hungary!

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Jon Sutton

Sudetenland

Post by Jon Sutton » 26 Nov 2003, 22:26

Surely the Sudetenland was part of the Second Reich before it was incorporated in the new state of Czechoslovakia? I don't think that the Austrians had ever considered Bohemia and Moravia as parts of Austria proper, but the area around Sopron and the Neusiedlersee had been part of Hungary for hundreds of years. Why was Austria allowed to take compensation for losing part of the Southern Tyrol to Italy by taking the present-day Burgenland on the grounds that it was inhabited by a majority of Germans when Hungary lost areas across the new borders which were still inhabited by a Hungarian majority?

Basileios

Post by Basileios » 26 Nov 2003, 23:04

The kingdom of Bohemia was ruled by the Habsburg dynasty since 1526.
Since 1804 it was was part of the Kaisertum Österreich (Austrian Empire).
Bohemia never was a part of the Second Reich (I take it you mean Imperial Germany founded by Bismark).
Since 1867 Bohemia was a part of the Austrian half of the double monarchy.
Following President Wilsons fourteen points, people expected that the German inhabited parts of Bohemia would become a part of the new Austrian republic, which itself was also expected to become a part of new republican Germany.
The victorious Entente made sure none of these expectations became reality. As I have stated before, the plebiscite was a solution to solve the territoral dispute between Austria and Hungary, who both lost the war.
All the other territories left over from the breakdown of Austria-Hungary joined states, which were also considered victorious powers by the Entente, so no plebiscites in those areas.

Not a fair approach at all, but since the Entente powers won the war, they could do what they wanted.

This map was published by the Austrian newspaper "Interessantes Blatt" in December 1918 and shows Austria in its then expected borders.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 28 Nov 2003, 01:05

It's interesting that Austria would have gained so much more territory as a result of this map. Certainly Weimar Germany would have appreciated Austria gaining this territory more than what historically happened. Austria herself though would have been in a stronger barginning position with Hitler come the 1930s as well.

Gwynn

Basileios

Post by Basileios » 28 Nov 2003, 23:23

There would have been nothing to bargain for, because the Anschluss would have happened in 1919.
In 1919 there were even referendums in some Austrian provinces if those should join the Weimar republic, which where huge successes in favour of that.
But the Entente verdict of St. Germain was not be changed, because Germany would have become to powerful in south eastern Europe.

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 29 Nov 2003, 01:00

Just wondering as we are talking of the Anschluss. As there are many bans in modern Germany against the memories of WW2 i.e. no public swastica no WW2 reenacting (well unless you want to wear plain clothes and call yourself "team one" etc.). Now is there a ban on any union between Austria and Germany nowadays. I am not saying that people really want it as they have there seperate identities but I am just curious. Also what about Germany developing Nuclear Weapons?

Basileios

Post by Basileios » 29 Nov 2003, 12:17

The State Treaty of 1955 included a prohibition of political or economic union of Austria and Germany.

Karl

Post by Karl » 29 Nov 2003, 12:31

This was a condition the Soviets demanded for the withdrawal of all Red Army troops from Austrian soil, IIRC.

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 29 Nov 2003, 23:30

Isn't the EU union, in a way, between Germany and Austria?

Galicia

Post by Galicia » 30 Nov 2003, 01:44

Gyenes wrote:Isn't the EU union, in a way, between Germany and Austria?
I think the loophole was that since it wasn't only Austria and Germany was in an economic contract, but a contract with several countries, that this law was overlooked.

bundi

webpage

Post by bundi » 07 Dec 2003, 19:27

See the following address in other languages:

http://www.trianon.hu

/bundi

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 08 Dec 2003, 01:32

Excellent site. Though the majority is in Hungarian (as I can't read Hungarian) Though some of the parts and links were in English which I found very intresting. Another good site on Hungarian history on the whole is
http://www.hungary.com/corvinus/index.htm

Say, Do you know of any site that has a text copy of the actual treaty of Trianon (in English)?

Now to say one thing about the anchluss. Wasn't there also a ban after WW1 in the treaty that declared no union between Germany and Austria as well?

Karl

Post by Karl » 08 Dec 2003, 03:29

Gyenes wrote:Now to say one thing about the anchluss. Wasn't there also a ban after WW1 in the treaty that declared no union between Germany and Austria as well?
Yes there was. Article 88 of the treaty signed at St. Germain-en-Laye, 10 September 1919 states:

'The independence of Austria is inalienable otherwise than with the consent of the Council of the League of Nations. Consequently Austria undertakes in the absence of the consent of the said Council to abstain from any act which might directly or indirectly or by any means whatever compromise her independence, particularly, and until her admission to membership of the League of Nations, by participation in the affairs of another Power.'

k

bundi

webpage

Post by bundi » 16 Dec 2003, 12:46

see the following webpage:

http://www.nemnemsoha.hu

/Bundi

agibaer

Post by agibaer » 16 Dec 2003, 19:24

ah crud that's just in hungarian. i suppose there isn't a english or german version around?

regards
robert

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 16 Dec 2003, 23:13

I am lucky my grandfather speaks Hungarian. I got him to translate some of it for me. Yeah I know only a little is in English [or French]. Yes, I German version would be nice I can actually muddle though German.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”