Radfahr Jägerbataillon Nr.1

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Doppelkopf

Radfahr Jägerbataillon Nr.1

Post by Doppelkopf » 03 Oct 2003, 23:26

Any info on this elite Austro-Hungarian unit - history, organization, commanders, etc.

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Radfahrer-Bataillon Nr. 1

Post by Glenn2438 » 06 Oct 2003, 20:34

The only k.u.k. bicycle battalions of the Austro-Hungarian Army I am aware of are the Radfahrer-Bataillon Nr. 1 & Radfahrer-Bataillon Nr. 2. The Jäger connection is probably from the fact that the original four bicycle companies were from Feldjäger-Battalions 11, 20, 24 & 29.

Radfahrer-Bataillon Nr. 1 was formed in August 1914 and initially known as Radfahrer-Bataillon Schönner after its first commander Hauptmann, later Oberstleutnant Odilo Schönner Edler von Schöndorn. Hauptmann, later Major Karl Christian took over command of the battalion in January 1918 and led it for the rest of the war. It was on the South Tyrolean Front in 1916 under command of 11th Army in the Suganatal and Fleimstal sectors and presumably remained in Northern Italy for the remainder of the war.

A bicycle company consisted of five officers and from 180 - 190 NCOs and Jäger. Each company was formed of four bicycle platoons

There was additionally a Royal Hungarian Honvéd bicycle battalion.

Regards
Glenn

Doppelkopf

Post by Doppelkopf » 09 Oct 2003, 21:32

Hi Glenn2438!

Sorry for a bit late "thank you" reply. Yes, you are right it seems this was the same unit, though it appears, it's last commander was a certain Hauptmann Erhard Raus.

Regards
Doppelkopf

Schöndorni-Schönner Ágnes

Post by Schöndorni-Schönner Ágnes » 18 Apr 2007, 19:13

Dear Axis members, especially Glenn,

I saw your last entry in the forum about the Battalion, mentioning the name of Odilo Schönner Edler von Schöndorn, who is my grandfather. Unfortunately, since my mother was a very late child of his we do not have much knowledge about him. Moreover, at the beginning of the Communist era in Hungary, the family was practically was deprived of everything they had, even articles for personal use, so we do not have much that reminds us to him. I would appreciate your sharing with me any info you have about him.
I would even be interested if he is mentioned in any books, essays, whatever.

Please, help me to get closer to my grandpa :)

Thank you very much in advance.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”