Austro-Hungarian Army Headgear Questions

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Orok

Austro-Hungarian Army Headgear Questions

Post by Orok » 01 Apr 2004 05:18

Hi all,

I just read Glenn's new article on the rank insignia of senior reserve officer aspirant, and I have a question about their headgear.

I know Offizierstellvertreter and Fähnrich were allowed to wear officer's black kappe with yellow silk rossette. My question is whether the other senior officer aspirant ranks: EF-Feldwebel/Reservekadettaspirant and Reservekadett, were they also allowed to wear such kappe?

How about the Stabs-Feldwebel?

I would appreciate it very much if you can post photographs of such ranks wearing the black kappe, that is if they were indeed allowed to wear it! :lol:

Thank you and Best Regards!

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Black Kappe

Post by Glenn2438 » 01 Apr 2004 17:05

Hi Orok,

good question :D

My own opinion is that the the Kadett, Kadettaspirant and the Stabsfeldwebel were not permitted to wear the black stiff officer's cap. Although it does seem that the ranks of Stabsfeldwebel and the Kadetts etc often dispensed with the shoulder straps ot their tunics/field blouses to emulate the officer pattern. This is not to say that the odd individual probably did not try and get away with wearing what he should not have done. :wink:

Regards
Glenn

Orok

Post by Orok » 01 Apr 2004 18:19

Glenn,

Thank you for your reply. This confirms what I have suspected! :lol: I've literarily seen thousands of period photographs but have yet to see any examples of such ranks wearing black stiff kappe. If anyone has such a photograpgh please share it with us! :lol:

As to shoulder straps, yes I've seen photos of such ranks without them on their uniforms. On another note I've also seen photographs of officers wearing uniforms with shoulder straps (not the Kaisershützen officers who were authorized to use their unique shoulder straps). I've also seen pictures showing officers wearing field cap with enlisted men's solid metal cap cockade! Next time I run into one example I'll try to post it here for everyone to see!

So it looks the higher ranks could go for lower rank accessories without problem, but not vice versa! 8)

Best Regards!

Glenn2438

Kappe

Post by Glenn2438 » 03 Apr 2004 10:31

Hi Orok,

further to our discussion above I came across a photo in Die Adjustierung des k.(u.)k. Heeres 1868-1914 Band 1. Die Infanterie page 39 by Hermann Hinterstoisser which shows a Kadett with a black Kappe held in his hand. He captions the photo as around 1910 but I think it is most likely a wartime photograph as it is a very low crowned example and he is wearing pike or field grey with a high collar minus shoulder straps. It is the only example I have seen so far and nothing I have seen in the regulations would suggest he was entitled to wear one.

I have now fully updated the officer aspirant page on my site to include regular officer candidates.

Regards
Glenn

Orok

Post by Orok » 03 Apr 2004 15:00

Hi Glenn,

It's exciting to know that such an example exists! :lol: If the picture is not copyrighted can you please post it here?

I have read your updated officer aspirant insignia page. Thank you for providing us with such an excellent essay on this rarely explored and confusing area! :lol: I am looking forward to seeing your next update to your site (perhaps a study of cadet school/military academy sudent insignia?)!

Best Regards!

Glenn2438

Badges of Rank

Post by Glenn2438 » 03 Apr 2004 15:30

Hi Orok,

I am revamping my whole badges of rank page as we talk. :D I'll get around to the Zöglinge shortly!

I'll pm you the image from the book.

Regards
Glenn

Orok

Post by Orok » 03 Apr 2004 16:07

Glenn,

I've got your pm. Thanks a lot!

Looking forward to seeing your new rank section! :lol:

Best Regards!

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”