Austria-Hungary's weapons and supplies

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
hauptmannn

Austria-Hungary's weapons and supplies

Post by hauptmannn » 02 Apr 2004 19:17

How well were the armies of AH supplied? how many shells were allotted to each gun and how many artillery guns were allotted to each division? And how do they compare with the other major powers? Also can you give me some information on all types of AH artillery and how they fared when compared with other countries.

Orok

Post by Orok » 05 Apr 2004 16:12

Hauptmann,

Your question is too large in scope and too general to give a concise and accurate answer. I guess this is why no one has replied yet. 8)

As general situation goes, the Austro-Hungarian forces were not very well provisioned as compared to other major European powers just before the Great War. The reason is complex, largely because the low military budget and the conservative nature of the army leadership.

As to artillery, at the beginning of the War, a standard Infantry Division would boast a regulation 54 artillery pieces, while the standard German figure was 72, the Russian 60. Even this figure was one on the paper, in reality very few, if there were any, Austro-Hungarian divisions entered the war with the full authorized artillery strength.

The munition shortage was a constant nightmare to the army. Although exact number is hard to come by, it is safe to say that frontline troops had never had adequate artillery munition storage and supplies. During the Eleventh Battle of Isonzo, the Austro-Hungarian artillery run out of ammunition within a few hours after the start of the Italian offensive, and this certainly is one of the most important factors contributed to the Italian breakthough into Bainsizza.

The one time the artillery was privided sufficient munition was the epic Battle of Caporetto. Before that great Austro-German offensive, the spearhead of the attacking forces, General Alfred Krauß's I. Korps, fielded 433 artillery pieces, that is about 144 pieces per division! And all the guns were provided with more than enough amunition, 1,000 rounds for each field or mountain gun, 500 for each medium gun, 800 for each heavy howitzer, and 200 for each super heavy piece. The artillery eventually contributed greatly to the success of the offensive.

As to types and technical details of the artillery pieces in the Austro-Hungarian army, if I remember correctly, you raised the same question some times ago in this forum, and some of the members and I had supplied answers. Please refer to that earlier thread.

Best Regards!

hauptmannn

Post by hauptmannn » 06 Apr 2004 05:03

Thanks Orok! :)
Once again you have proven your knowledge about AH and once again the one to supply me excellent information :)

I always thought the Russians were the least equiped, but perhaps they weren't. But you gave me the answers i need :)

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”