Slovene Officers in the Austro-Hungarian Military

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
K.Kocjancic

Re: Slovene Officers in the Austro-Hungarian Military

Post by K.Kocjancic » 06 Apr 2004 18:45

Allen Milcic wrote:
Orok wrote:
We all see a lot of Serbo-Croats and some Poles, besides the ubiquitous Germans and Magyars, but I am not sure if there are any Slovenes.

Hi Orok:

I'm not trying to be picky, but what exactly is a "Serbo-Croat"? The Croats and the Serbs are two distinct nations - as distinct as the Slovenes.

Best regards,
Allen/

Allen, here in Yugoslavia they learned Serbo-Croat language not Serb and Croat language - but you probably know this :wink: .

Orok

Post by Orok » 06 Apr 2004 18:46

Allen Milcic wrote:
Orok wrote:
We all see a lot of Serbo-Croats and some Poles, besides the ubiquitous Germans and Magyars, but I am not sure if there are any Slovenes.

Hi Orok:

I'm not trying to be picky, but what exactly is a "Serbo-Croat"? The Croats and the Serbs are two distinct nations - as distinct as the Slovenes.

Best regards,
Allen/

Allen,

I've seen a lot of unpleasantry exchanged in this forum and other boards as well on the nationality/ethnicity of certain personalities, such as FM Svetozar Boroevic and FmL Milan Uzilac. I don't want to be involved in such I think pointless debates so I'd rather use the more neutral (I think) term Serbo-Croat. If I failed miserably and offended someone, I am truly sorry!

Best Regards!

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 06 Apr 2004 18:52

Orok wrote:Klemen,

Thanks for the great list. can you do us one more favor by giving the German equivalent of the I guess Slovenian ranks, like Untermarschal, Podmarschal, etc.

Thanks again!

Best Regards!

IIRC; Untermarschal/Podmaršal is equivalent of Gen.Ltn.

Gen.Maj.
Gen.Ltn. - Untermarschal
Gen. - Vicemarschal?
Gen.Oberst - Marschal

AH isn't my field of interest, so I'll have to check. :wink:

Regards,
Klemen

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 06 Apr 2004 19:23

Orok wrote:
Allen,

I've seen a lot of unpleasantry exchanged in this forum and other boards as well on the nationality/ethnicity of certain personalities, such as FM Svetozar Boroevic and FmL Milan Uzilac. I don't want to be involved in such I think pointless debates so I'd rather use the more neutral (I think) term Serbo-Croat. If I failed miserably and offended someone, I am truly sorry!

Best Regards!

Hi Orok:

Thanks for the quick reply. I know how unpleasant many of the exchanges can be when it comes to national/ethnic/historic/religious/etc. issues between the people of former Yugoslav republics, and I am personally disgusted by that kind of behaviour. I completely understand why you would want to stay out of such totally unproductive debate (I am being generous calling it that :lol: ). However, I think that the use of the name "Serbo-Croat" is an unfortunate choice despite your best intentions. I was personally bothered by it, but I have seen your many postings in this Forum, and we have exchanged information and ideas previously, so I knew that you are a gentleman and that your aim was not to offend. I decided to broach the subject with you in order to avoid possible unnecessary vitriol from other quarters - I am certain that most Croats would find the term to be extremely offensive, and many may not understand your honourable intentions. I think that saying "Serbs and Croats" would suffice, yet avoid any problems.

K.Kocjancic:

Yes, I remember being constantly in trouble in school because I refused to call my language Srpsko-Hrvatski. It was a silly, politically motivated idea to 'amalgamate' the two languages, and it was doomed to fail. I think the idea fostered so much resentment in Croatia that it is at least in small part responsible for the fury felt during the 91-95 war.

But I digress, I have pushed the topic away from its original point, and I apologize for the interuption.

My best regards to all,
Allen/

Orok

Post by Orok » 06 Apr 2004 21:34

Hi Allen,

Thank you very much for your explanation and suggestion. I have gone back to my first post and edited it accordingly. My sincere appology to any Croat friends here who might have been offended by my ignorance on this matter. :oops:

Klemen,

Thanks for the info on Caprivi. Although I've always felt that his name was not very Germanic, I really did not know he was from a Solvene background!

And thank you for the explanation on the rank names! :lol:

Best Regards!

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 07 Apr 2004 21:13

Allen Milcic wrote:
Orok wrote:

Hi Orok:

Best regards,
Allen/

I personaly am part Croat and I know the differences exist between Slovens, Croats, Serbians, Bosnians. Especially on Religous agreement. But can you possibly tell them apart. Like are there distinct physical features to a slovene that distinguish him from any other south slav. just curious...

And also to comment on the Language. I have seen it numerously written as Serbo-Croat or a class at college labled as such. But recently it has been changing were now you study just the serbian or croat with their distinct qualties.

(I am sorry if this might offend anyone, but I mean no harm.)

Orok

Post by Orok » 07 Apr 2004 21:19

Gyenes,

I respect your interest in all the subtle shades of differences among south Slav peoples. But I started this thread as a research for Slovene officers in A-H military and really don't want it to be sidetracked. Can you please kindly ask your question elsewhere, perhaps in the lounge section?

Thank you very much and my Best Regards!

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 08 Apr 2004 20:10

Orok wrote:Thanks Klemen,

How about Schussnigg, isn't his name ending with a -nik, perhaps something like Šusnik? :lol:

Best Regards!

Was von Schussnigg during WWI on Soška fronta/Isonzo Front as Colonel, CO of Subsection Bovec?

Orok

Post by Orok » 08 Apr 2004 20:40

Klemen,

Kurt von Schuschnigg did fight on the Italian front, but he ended the war as a Leutnant. He was born on December 14, 1897, too young to be a Colonel by the end of the war. But I understand his father was a Generalmajor in the Army, perhaps it's the elder Schuschnigg you are referring to?

Best Regards!

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 08 Apr 2004 22:01

Orok wrote:Klemen,

Kurt von Schuschnigg did fight on the Italian front, but he ended the war as a Leutnant. He was born on December 14, 1897, too young to be a Colonel by the end of the war. But I understand his father was a Generalmajor in the Army, perhaps it's the elder Schuschnigg you are referring to?

Best Regards!

I was just flipping pages and looking any Slovene officers and I found him. He was Cln. in 1915.

Do you have Bio. of his father?

Regards,
Klemen

Orok

Post by Orok » 08 Apr 2004 22:24

Klemen,

The Colonel you are referring to must be Oberst Artur Edler von Schuschnigg. I don't know if he is Kurt von Schuschnigg's father. I think our friend Glenn might be able to help you here.

But can I infer from your saying

I was just flipping pages and looking any Slovene officers and I found him. He was Cln. in 1915.

that at least Oberst Artur Edler von Schuschnigg is Slovene? 8)

Best Regards!

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 08 Apr 2004 22:33

Sorry, my bad! :oops: :wink:

I was looking any Slovenian officers and can around this Schuschigg and I had remember your post on him. SO far I don't know if he is Slovene.

Regards,
Klemen

Orok

Post by Orok » 08 Apr 2004 22:36

Klemen,

No problem! We'll find out eventually! :lol:

Best Regards!

Orok

Post by Orok » 18 Apr 2004 18:42

Polona, Klemen and all,

General Alfred Jansa, Chef des Generalstabs at the time of Anschluß in 1938, was he also of Slovene heritage? Is he related to the former Slovenian Defense Minister Janez Jansa?

Best Regards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 18 Apr 2004 19:05

Interesting!

Don't know!

Janez Janša is now leader of most powerful right-middle party - SDS.

Regards,
Klemen

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”