Hungarian soldiers

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Gyenes

Hungarian soldiers

Post by Gyenes » 06 Apr 2004 20:45

Does anyone have pictures to share of Hungarian soldiers from the Austro-Hungarian era?

Orok

Post by Orok » 06 Apr 2004 23:27

Gyenes,

By "Hungarian soldiers", do you mean soldiers of Magyar nationality, or soldiers form the k.u.k. Hungarian Infantry Regiments, or soldiers from the Hungarian Landwehr (Honved) units?

Best Regards!

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 07 Apr 2004 21:08

All or any you could find. That would be great.

Orok

Post by Orok » 08 Apr 2004 17:42

Gyenes,

I have searched my hard disk and unfortunately I did not find any picture of enlisted men who I am sure is a Magyar or from a Honved or k.u.k Hungarian regiments. I have some pictures in my book collections but since I don't have a scanner I can't post them here. Maybe others can help since such pictures are not rare at all!

The basic situation is that at the start the Great War the soldiers from the Honved or k.u.k. Hungarian regiments were dressed in the same uniform as other A-H soldiers, except their distinctive tight Hungarian pants (magyarnadrag) with cord knot decoration (vitezkötes) on the front, in yellow-black for k.u.k. Hungarian troops and in slate-gray for Honved. The pierced royal cypher on the cap rossette is IFJ for Honved and FJI for all other troops. The belt knuckle decoration is the Hungarian St. Stephan Crown for Honved and Austrian double eagle for all other troops.

With the progress of the War the vitezkötes was dropped and the Hungarian troops adopted the same type of trousers as other troops in order to facilitate war time mass production. With the reduction of the collar patch to a mere stripe one year into the war and its disappearance from many uniforms after 1916, I'd say the visual difference between a Hungarian soldier and his German counterpart is virtually nonexistent!

Also note that the majority of so-called Hungarian soldiers in both Honved and k.u.k. Hungarian units were not Magyars at all, they were Germans, Romanians, Slovaks, Croats and Serbs, recruited from the Hungarian half of the Monarchy. They were certainly no more Hungarian than the majority of the so-called German units were German (they were Czechs, Poles, Ruthenians, Croats, Serbs, Slovenes, Italians, etc.)! :lol:

Best Regards!

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 09 Apr 2004 21:04

Thank you anyway, I find the information of the uniform quite intresting do you happen to have any pictures of such? i.e. vitezkötes, and magyarnadrag.

Scythian

Post by Scythian » 23 Apr 2004 21:21

Gyenes,

I can show you a picture of the uniform in question:

It is the model of a soldier from the 32nd (Hungarian) infantry regiment of the joint Austro-Hungarian Army, from 1872. The tight blue pants he is wearing is the so-called magyarnadrág, with the yellow-black vitézkötés on it.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”