Ltn.Colonel Stanislav Turudija

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
K.Kocjancic

Ltn.Colonel Stanislav Turudija

Post by K.Kocjancic » 08 Apr 2004 20:17

Looking info on this Dalmatian, CO of II./22. Dalmatian Inf.Rgt., who was captured on 7.8.1915.

He was famous for defence of Hill 383 (above Plave) and village of Zagore on Soška fronta.

Regards,
Klemen

Locke

Post by Locke » 08 Apr 2004 20:28

Hello,
I found some interesting quotes from wartime newspapres about Turudija.
here's the link (only in Slovenian language)http://www.drustvo-soskafronta.si/?show=prispevek&id=6

Regards /LP,
Polona

Orok

Post by Orok » 08 Apr 2004 20:52

Hi,

Is there any chance you gentlegirl/gentleman translate it into English. Looks the article must be extremely interesting! :lol:

Thank you and Best Regards!

Locke

Post by Locke » 08 Apr 2004 22:14

First paragraph:
Newspaper »Slovenian Nation« 17th Aug 1915
At Major Turudija's in Podgora, 2nd Aug 1915

I mounted a piebald horse and rode to Major Turudija. On my way, I met soldiers: Where are you from? From Dalmatia. I ask another one – same answer. – Are you here from the beginning of the war? – Yes, I am, but there are few of us. Only four left in my platoon. But what can you do, the year is long. – From his face you can read the sadness for his fallen comrades. – We were in 36 heavy fights, some have to fall and be wounded. And he counts up battles in Bosnia, Serbia and finally against treacherous Italy. Oh, if those companies were still here, the Italians would run away. One day seven Italians attacked one of our soldiers and they couldn't beat him.

I arrived to a place where I saw the Major from distance. I greeted the company. I went to him, there are some officers around him. At first we spoke about the Italian battlefield. Turudija described advance of the battles of Plavi and Podgora, of Doberdob, where he was the commander of one battalion. He remembered the number of his and the number of Italian losses. There were hundreds and hunsdreds of dead Italians, but only a little number of dead in his battalion. At a later date, people will think this were fairy tales – we concluded, but it wasn't like that. I was always convinced, and I am still convinced, that the number is not decisive. Leadership, presence of mind and fearlessness of our troops – then you can make wonders as we do. – I thought: With a leader like that, the soldiers have to be brave. Verba movent, exempla trahunt. Our major can thrill and in an attack he is with us like every infantryman – so the soldiers say. He esteems his officers, that goes without saying. And he also esteems the simplest infantryman. He told me a lot about Oberleutnant? Marko Sorić. He fell as a hero on the battlefield and his name mustn't be forgotten.

Turudija: Oh, if my Marko was here now! He also remembered Lendić: He was an infantryman, but there is no one else who would be as heroic as him. He died a hero's death at river Drina, and before he died he said: »Greet Turudija in my name!«

Army falls in love with its leader and the leader falls in love with soldiers. – Now we are in a practical fight against the Italians – everything was theory before.- When we talk like that, the Maroj gets an order: »With your battalion, at 1pm in….« I wished the company good luck in combat, mounted my horse, and he ran home. I was in Gorica in 20 minutes.

Then I walked on the top of Kalvarija: When I was writing this, cannon balls were flying over my head and the infantry started to shoot…

Best regards,
Polona

Orok

Post by Orok » 08 Apr 2004 22:20

Thanks Polona, very interesting read! Really add flesh to names!

Best Regards!

Locke

Post by Locke » 09 Apr 2004 08:49

No problem, Orok!

Second paragraph:
Newspaper »Edinost« (Unity) published this news on 14th feb 1916

Mister Major Stanko Turudija, to all Slovenians from Trieste known officer of the heroic 22. Dalmatian Infantry regiment, was in recognition of his remarkable merits on the battlefield, promoted to Ltn.Colonel. We congratulate him and his brave Yugoslavian heroes!

Best regards,
Polona

Orok

Post by Orok » 09 Apr 2004 15:30

Hi Polona,

Thanks for the new paragraph!

I read with interest your use of the word "Yugoslavian", I guess in Slovene it might be the same word for South Salv and Yugosalv (Yugo = south), but in English the latter only denotes the artificial state created by the Entente after the war! :lol: I guess the original writer of this news despatch must meant to say the "heroes of South Slav People"! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing more to come!

Have a nice weekend!

Best Regards!

Octavianus

Post by Octavianus » 09 Apr 2004 16:38

Ave Orok, Klemen & Polona,

When I have met with Klemen L. several months ago he has brought with him also some books from his collection (on my request, of course! :lol: ) and there was on my "wish-list" also the regimental history of IR Nr. 22 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918. Due lack of time I went very quickly through this extremly "fat book" ( :P ) and from what I could notice it does contain a lot of details about Major Turudija and his fight on Plava 1915 and Salcano 1916. Therefore if anyone is interested in Turudija he should take a look for the IR Nr. 22 regimental history. But I hear that to obtain this book is very hard... :? :|

Gratiam,

Octavianus

Locke

Post by Locke » 09 Apr 2004 18:54

Orok wrote:Hi Polona,

Thanks for the new paragraph!

I read with interest your use of the word "Yugoslavian", I guess in Slovene it might be the same word for South Salv and Yugosalv (Yugo = south), but in English the latter only denotes the artificial state created by the Entente after the war! :lol: I guess the original writer of this news despatch must meant to say the "heroes of South Slav People"! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing more to come!

Have a nice weekend!

Best Regards!

Yes, Orok, you're probably right. I was quite surprised too when I saw the word "jugoslovenski" in the text.

Happy Easter!
Polona

Orok

Post by Orok » 09 Apr 2004 23:29

Octavianus,

Thank you for the information! I think the one who needs specific information on the Major is the other Klemen! :lol: And I know he know Klemen L. pretty well!

I wish you good luck on your search for the book! :D

Best Regards!

Locke

Post by Locke » 13 Apr 2004 20:10

Some more...
Newspaper »Edinost« (Unity), 22nd March 1916
We got happy news recently, about repeated decoration of the heroic commander of our southern brothers on Soča river, Stanko Tududija. His Highness promoted him to the rank of Ltn.Colonel. The name Turudija became famous all over the world, but especially in our Slovenian homeland, which is defended by this model soldier, with his Dalmatian Soldiers, against superior forces of perfidious Italians.

The whole Slovenian nation congratulates our beloved defender for this new expression of Emperor's acknowledgement and grace. The whole nation is happy about this decoration as if its son would get it. Brotherly ties, which have connected Slovenians and Croats since old times, have now become inseparable because of blood.
Allow us to write some stories from life of our hero Turudija as a sign of gratitude and loyalty towards our nation.

Already in 1914 he bravely fought on Serbian battlefield on Drina river, at Milenko's stone and elsewhere, and he was decorated for the first time. But he made his most important and biggest merits on Soča battlefield at Zagora, Plavi and especially on Kalvarija at Podgora, which he defended and suceeded in defending in spite of hell fire from enemy artillery with a battalion of his Dalmatian soldiers.

BTW..in the next paragraph about Turidija's life, it's written that he was from Bosnia and of Orthodox religion. I found this strange...has anyone got informations on this subject?

Best regards,
Polona

Orok

Post by Orok » 14 Apr 2004 17:14

Polona,

Thanks for the new section! :lol:

Locke wrote:BTW..in the next paragraph about Turidija's life, it's written that he was from Bosnia and of Orthodox religion. I found this strange...has anyone got informations on this subject?

Does that mean Turudija is a Bosnian Serb? I personally think it is highly unlikely, because my impression is that no Bosnian had risen to such a high rank in the Army. But again anything is possible.

Best Regards!

Locke

Post by Locke » 16 Apr 2004 17:49

Orok wrote:Does that mean Turudija is a Bosnian Serb? I personally think it is highly unlikely, because my impression is that no Bosnian had risen to such a high rank in the Army. But again anything is possible.

Best Regards!

I found that part strange too. And in the article is written that Turudija fought against Serbs. So, if anyone has any information on Turudija's ethnic background, it would be very interesting to know...(maybe someone who has acces to regimental history of IR 22 as Octavianus mentioned?)

Best regards,
Polona

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 16 Apr 2004 18:07

Hello everyone:

For what its worth, I knew a fellow whose surname was 'Turudija', and he was a Roman Catholic Croat from the Ljubuski area of Herzegovina.

Allen/

Locke

Post by Locke » 18 Apr 2004 20:14

Next paragraph from newspaper »Edinost« (Unity), 22nd March 1916

Turudija is Bosnian by birth. He had served in our Infantry regiment Nr.97 in Triest. Already as a young Lieutenant, he lived for his military profession. His only pastime in his spare time was playing chess and shooting with a »room rifle« * - this was again an occupation which reminds on spiritual and manual training of combat mood. If you now picture Turudija as a blood-thirsty, pugnacious giant, you couldn't be more wrong. He is small, thin, quiet and thoughtful, that's how he walked around Triest unnoticed in peace-time, and not many people knew him. But his kind heart was known to the whole regiment. Kind, child's heart, which would sacrifice everything for his fellow in disterss.

*comment: Does anyone know what that would be? It's »sobna puška« in Slovenian and I translated it literally.

Allen and others, I asked around a bit :D and my granpa told me that Turudija could be a Bosnian Serb (from his last name).

Best regards,
Polona

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”