Hungary...1909

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
D1ZX

Hungary...1909

Post by D1ZX » 13 Sep 2004, 21:32

I found your great site last week while researching info on my father, Josef Pajzer. He was born in southern Hungary in 1909, in Peterwadein (Petrovaradin), which is now northern Serbia. He spoke 7 languages, and in the 40's he and his brother were part of the Resistance against Russia. My father was a chimney sweeper, which allowed him to go door to door, and then, pass information. My uncle translated documents. They were rat'ed out by someone in the village and finally captured, and my father was going to be sent to Russia!. The Russians did some bad thing's to my uncle, and he would up living in Germany with his futher family. My father was sent to a concentration camp, where he finally escaped by tunneling for 3 days, which left his left arm deformed. With help from other Patroit's, he was placed on a train, in a coffin under a dead body, where he finally escaped into Austria. There, he was placed in a refugee camp, where I guess he met my mother? They both then immigrated to the USA in 1951. My father died in 1967, while I was only 11, and I really don't know that much about his back-ground or where he lived. I have been getting all kinds of pictures and stories about Hungary, and the fortress at Petrovaradin, on the inernet, and is how I found this site. It would be my dream to go there some day and see where my father lived! I have all of my fathers old papers, but they are all in foriegn languages. My next goal is to find the town where my father lived before he was captured. I don't know if it was still Petrovaradin, or if he moved at some point? I have several picture of him while in Hungary, but that's all. I also have a 1942 magazine cover showing him and someone else in their sweeper's uniforms. I'm going to get that translated to see if a town is named? Thanks for taking the time to read this. I want to be able to tell my kids all about my father, when they are older. BTW...I should also still have younger relitives in Germany, but have no way of hooking up.
Last edited by D1ZX on 17 Sep 2004, 00:03, edited 2 times in total.

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 15 Sep 2004, 21:40

welcome to the forum!

can you give more details of your father´s story?
You said he was in "resistance against the russians" After the war? And during the war, in what army did he serve? As far as I know there were no russians in serbia during the war, but the germans...

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 15 Sep 2004, 21:45

maxxx wrote:welcome to the forum!

can you give more details of your father´s story?
You said he was in "resistance against the russians" After the war? And during the war, in what army did he serve? As far as I know there were no russians in serbia during the war, but the germans...
Actually, the Soviet Army helped the Yugoslav Communist forces liberate Belgrade (Serb capital) from the Germans on October 20, 1944. Soviet units also fought in several areas of what is now northern Serbia (the areas of Srijem, Banat and Backa) as well as northern Croatia (Slavonia and Baranja).

Best regards,
Allen/

D1ZX

Post by D1ZX » 16 Sep 2004, 23:46

From what I read, basacally during WW2, Germany ocupied Hungary and some of it's surounding countries, while Germany was at war with Russia. Russia started an advance into these countries, and on 12/24/1944 took over Budapest, Hungary's capatal. There were some Hungarian villigers who helped the Germans fight and resist the Russian's, and my father was one of them, refered to as a "Patriot". My farther had a friend who wound up living in Australia, who wrote a manuscript about my father and some of his other Patroit friend's of that time, but I don't know if it ever was published. (I'm looking into that also.)

Wasn't it in 1956, after WW2, that Russia was finally driven out of Hungary/Ugo, by the people there that still resisted them? I wonder back then while in the USA, my father knew of this victory? I lot of people there were killed. I was born that same year in the USA, and sort of feel now to be lucky to be alive!
Last edited by D1ZX on 21 Sep 2004, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

D1ZX

Post by D1ZX » 17 Sep 2004, 21:32

Sorry, after more research, it looks like the Hungarian revolutionaries actually lost the 12 day war during the final take over by Russia in 1956.

Thousand's of hungarians were killed or driven out, and the true out come of this battle was sealed by Hungary until 1989......but my father still helped fight the earlier Russian advances during WW2.

D1ZX

Post by D1ZX » 21 Sep 2004, 00:56

The town my father lived in during the 40's was called "Bargataupla" (spelling), but I'm not locating info for it in the Hungary, Yugo, Romania, and Serbian areas. Enyone know of this place....please!

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”