Austria-Hungary - Why unkown?

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
viriato

Post by viriato » 18 Sep 2002, 20:12

SerbTiger wrote:
I am interested how is Austro-Hungary looked upon by other Slavic nations, Slovaks, Romanians, Croats..
Now SerbTiger are Romanians Slav? 8O :lol: :lol:

SerbTiger

Post by SerbTiger » 19 Sep 2002, 02:14

Viriato,

In short yes they are they have over the centuries became Slavized to the extent that they are a Slavic nation just like Bulgaria.
:idea:

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 19 Sep 2002, 05:57

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Romanian is actually considered a Romantic language, unlike over Slavic languages...

In response to how other Slavic nations felt towards Austria-Hungary, I imagine it was similiar to how they felt about the Ottoman Empire, both must have seemed like they wanted to conquer and dominate the Slavic peoples.

Gwynn

Andy

Post by Andy » 22 Sep 2002, 20:32

The reason Autria-Hungary is not well known in the west is because the western countries fought against Germany. I am sure Austria-Hungary is well known in Italy, Serbia and Russia.

cybercat

Post by cybercat » 15 Nov 2002, 06:02

A good place for collecting stuff from the Austro-Hungarian Empire is Sarajevo - there are quite a lot of gold coins to be had in the goldsmiths of Bascarsije (the Turkish Merchant Quarter). I haven't had a chance to checkout if there are any bits of militaria but I'm sure there are tucked away in shops somewhere. I did notice in passing that there's an interesting antiques shop in Zenica as well although this was 8 years ago so it might not be there anymore.

Tanker

Post by Tanker » 24 Nov 2002, 18:32

First of all the reason for the war between Austria-Hungary was the ignoration of the Austrian ultimatum which was send to the Serbs.Vienna wanted to send Austrian policemen to Serbie,there they should find more about the "Black Hand" group which was responsibilie for the assassination of Franz Ferdinand out.Like I said,the Serbs ignored the ulitmatum,Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia,didn't know that they had a contract with Russia.Russia declared war on Austria,but Austria had a contract with Germany.....ect....

The reason why Austria-Hungary isn't that important for WW1 interested people is that after the war germany was seen guilty for the war,because Austria itself never could make a war like WW1 was.But especially the Austrian Italian front was/is very interesting.Everybody heard about the 9 (I think there were 9.. :D )Isonzo-battles?Or the battles in the Dolomites?You could compare them with the battles of Verdun or Arras.Artellaries fired 100 above the enemy to create an avalanche which killed all who were beneath!

Daniel S.

Post by Daniel S. » 27 Nov 2002, 23:13

SerbTiger wrote:Viriato,

In short yes they are they have over the centuries became Slavized to the extent that they are a Slavic nation just like Bulgaria.
:idea:
SerbTiger,the romanians are not Slavs.And you know why?I never studied Italian language in school but belive me that I understand much more of it than I could understand hearing your Slavic language.Guess why.

The difference between bulgarians and romanians is that the Slavs established in large number in Bulgaria and assimilated the latin language speakers(the vlahs) while in Romania the Roman's legacy was stronger and assimilated the slaves.That is way we speak now a latin languge of Roman origin like other european people such as italians,portuguese,french,spanish,etc.And temperamentally the romanians are more close of these South europeans nations than Slavs.
Of course,we have also some Slavic blood in our venes by assimilating the slaves and having a lot of Slavic words in our language.And we have the Orthodox faith as another element of common things with the Slav world.

So we have a dacian(barbarian before the roman conquest),roman and slav origin and speak a Roman origin language.

Regards,
Daniel S.

Daniel S.

Post by Daniel S. » 27 Nov 2002, 23:24

Excuse me for "venes" instead of "veins".I hope that now is right :roll:

Hadrian

Post by Hadrian » 29 Nov 2002, 10:03

SerbTiger, Romanians are LATINS (except for me, i am half roman half saxon, my mother beeing member of the german minority :D ), descendents of roman legionaires and colonists, and they speak a linguage very alike to italian, our bloodbrothers. And the huge number of romanians compared to the slav states of balkans means that we have not becomed slavized but instead we had a certain latin influence on them.
By the way, why serbs and bulgarians look diferent then russians? and why the hungarians (which speak a mongolic originating in Asia language) are now white and dont`t have oblique eyes anymore? and why...

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 01 Dec 2002, 10:23

Tis the wonders of many centuries of integration between different cultures.

Gwynn

Hadrian

Post by Hadrian » 02 Dec 2002, 07:24

We romanians are described as an island of latinity in a sea of slavs. Jirinovsky (the russian extremist) described us as "italian gipsies which came from Asia" :lol: so our latinity isn`t contested not even by one the hardest slav extremist. :lol: Anyway, you all now understand why the austrohungarian empire was doomed to crush :lol:
Anyway, the serbs are the only neighbour with which romanian never had war and we romanians like them. And we were allied in the protection of Europe against the otoman hordes. At Kosovopolje fought romanians too...

Daniel S.

Post by Daniel S. » 05 Dec 2002, 13:28

Hadrian wrote:Jirinovsky (the russian extremist) described us as "italian gipsies which came from Asia" :lol: so our latinity isn`t contested not even by one the hardest slav extremist. :lol:
There is an obvious contradiction between the words of his statement.First-"italian" so latins,then "gipsies which came from Asia"-why he confuse one of the largest minorities which lives in Romania with the romanian people?The fact they called themselfs rromas has nothing to do with romanians.

Regards,
Daniel S.

Mait

Post by Mait » 05 Dec 2002, 14:34

Well, the Jirinovski is a mental handicap (to put it mildly) so there is nothing wrong with him talking BS.

Best Regards,

Mait.

Daniel S.

Post by Daniel S. » 05 Dec 2002, 18:48

I hope Mr. Jirinovski is very happy after NATO's decisions in Prague. :wink:

Regards,
Daniel S.

SerbTiger

Post by SerbTiger » 14 Dec 2002, 08:39

Thank You Hadrian and Daniel. S,

I knew that the Romanians were not Slavic but I was of the impression that they have become strongly Slavized at least culturally over the centuries.

Also Romanians are probably the most peaceful people in the Balkans.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”