Greatest Austrian Victory

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
leooel

Lissa

Post by leooel » 18 Aug 2005, 04:31

After the Battle of Lissa most Navies equipped their warships with rams. Austria might have kept them longer, but she was by no means alone.

caspar

Post by caspar » 25 Aug 2005, 10:30

hi i wonder if somebody now ho was the german commander i austria and in Imst 1942, an writing a book aboute the seckond world war
it seams that i is her the experts are

greatefull for some help.
Caspar

Franz-Joseph

Post by Franz-Joseph » 27 Sep 2005, 20:14

What of the battle of Sisak in croatia? I know there were forces of the Holy Roman Empire, but as I know they were a lot of soldiers from austrians lands, especially Carniola. There is another battlle against Ottoman empire, I do not remember the place, but it was one of the greatest battles of the early new age on the sea, it happend of the year 1571, where joined force of the Papal states, Hasburhg and Venice defeted ottomans, which had superior forces?
What of the battles on the river soca? The miracle of Kobarid, I think the twelve battle on river of soca? When austro-hungarian army togehter with germans defeated italians and pushed them back to the river Piava.

VeldesX

Post by VeldesX » 27 Sep 2005, 21:16

That will be the Battle of Lepanto, 1571. It was a great moral victory, but the Sultan built an even larger fleet the very next year, which caused endless troubles for Venetian holdings all across the mediterranean, including Cyprus.

It was seconded by the Battle of Navarino in 1827, where every ship of the line in the combined Egyptian and Turkish fleet was destroyed by a combined fleet of British, French, and Russian ships off the Greek Coast. The Egyptians were planning to invade the Morea and totally eliminate the rebellious population and colonise the land with fellahin from the Nile Valley.

G

luigi

Post by luigi » 11 Nov 2005, 13:17

Not to lessen the audacity of the KuK Navy at Lissa, but it must also be said that they were helped a lot by the rather "timid" and incompetent attitude of Adm. Persano.

In fact the Italian fleet was kind of putting a siege to this insignificant little island just to "make something" after the ministry of war had pushed harshly on him to the point to almost call him openly a coward: instead of removing him, however (Dog does not eat dogs, Italian say) Persano was left in command and pushed into action almost by force.

So, not having a plan or a clue on what to do, he left the port of Ancona to make some noise on the Lissa fortifications, not even a day of navigation away (in order to be able to regain coastal protection asap if the case be). He then spred all his force (farce?) all around the island looking for a place suitable for desembarking. When he got new of the Austrian fleet apporaching, the first countermeasure was to left his flagship, Re D'Italia in order to go on a more modern and protected one which name escapes me right now, without notifying it properly to the rest of the fleet. In the following confusion, the Italian fleet tried to re-group, half of it having to turn around the Island of Lissa. This allowed the austrian fleet to jump on the Italian one with "local superiority" and made the ramming tactic viable. As always in our military history, the desperate courage of the humble soldier tried to make even for the incompetence and arrogance of the higer ranks: the Italian Navy fusiliers went up the masts of the sinking Re d'Italia and kept shooting at the ramming ship till the last, causing some 60 casualties on the austrian side... one of the many essays of what will become a refrain of the WW1 soldiers "Austrians in the front, Austrians in the back!"...

By the way, Caporetto comes to mind when speaking about great austrian victories (however with the help of some german stosstrupps)

Andreas K.

Post by Andreas K. » 28 Dec 2005, 15:23

SiG I wrote:
What do you think was austria's greatest victory?
How about the destruction of the entire world order folowing thier military adventure of 1914? :P What other country can pride itself with such achievements? :D
Hi!
Nice story. But not the true History.The whole world was waiting for war in 1914. Germany in fact was eager for war and did his best to let the conflict ruin the old world. But you are right that the Habsburgers did not get it managed to built a working commonwelth instaed of an Empire that was doomed to be crashed.Only my opinion.
I guess the greatest victory was Aspern. Napoeleon was not decisive beaten but the Austrians hit him hard. First time hi did not win. And a draw is more a "Typical Austrian Victory" I guess.
Greets Andreas

Quentin Compson

Post by Quentin Compson » 09 Apr 2006, 22:54

The greatest Austrian victory? There are so many!!
Against the Italians the best victories are surely Custoza (1866) and Caporetto (1917). At the Battle of Custoza the Italian soldiers fought very well, but the incompetence of their leaders, La Marmora and Cialdini, eventually gave to Archduke Albrecht the final victory.
However the greatest victory of all times was Leipzig: the Austrian was the principal winners of Napoleon, along with Prussians.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”