Seebatallion Trieste

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Peter H

Seebatallion Trieste

Post by Peter H » 02 Feb 2005 12:42

Has anyone got information on this WW1 unit? I assume it was a KuK Marine batallion?

The photo below has also stirred my interest.Are these typical KuK sailors or airmen?

Thanks in advance,
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boljonggo

Post by Boljonggo » 03 Feb 2005 02:19

Peter,

About the picture, from what little precious knowledge I have, they are sailors (I am not sure if they are typical). A-H airmen belonged to either the Army or the Navy. They did not have their own uniforms, and all wore the uniform of their original units, the only distinction would be the aviation badge worn on the collar and the pilot's badge on the breast. For the Army, the majority of the pilots were from the artillery and other technical branches, due to the their training on mechanic.

I'll try to find something on the Seebataillon.

Sain Boljonggo

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 05 Feb 2005 10:27

Thanks Boljonggo,
Any information on the unit would be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

manuel

Post by manuel » 12 Feb 2005 20:18

Hi Peter,

Seebataillon Trieste was created in early autumn 1914, when a few soldiers where in town and civilians were scared by an invasion of italian troops from the see in occasion of anniversary of XX september.

300 men were taken from Pola and created this military unit. they were divided in two companies with some MG and guns.

Later on another Company was formed by young men from local high schools (all of them volounteers), somebody says that this saved them from the fields of Eastern fields (we must remember that people from Trieste and Kunstland served in regiments of common army and landwher heavily engaged on East Front).

More information and pictures can be found in Peter Jung "L'ultima guerra degli Asburgo", this book was published in Italy before than in Austria and I don't know the german title.

If you need, I can do some scans of the pictures.

Regards,

Manuel

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 15 Feb 2005 10:24

Manuel,
Thanks for the details. :)

Any photos would be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”