Interesting books about A-H

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Oberst Mihael

Interesting books about A-H

Post by Oberst Mihael » 25 May 2005, 22:00

There's not all that many books dealing with Austro-Hungary (can you believe that?! :lol:), and really good books about A-H are extremely difficult to find.

What would you recommend reading? I'm talking about all aspects of the A-H society, but mainly books that deal with:

-the way smaller nations were integrated, and how the system functioned between the "provinces" and Vienna

-the military, especially pre-1914

-biographies of emperors

-the structure of A-H itself, anything from common laws, government structure, etc.

I can so far recommend only Slovenski fantje v Bosni in Hercegovini 1878 (Slovene Men In Bosnia & Herzegovina 1878; sadly available only in Slovene), written by a soldier from the Bosnian campaign, it was published in 1904 and recently reissued.

beauregard61

Post by beauregard61 » 24 Jun 2005, 13:25

Just some thoughts....
I'm not sure if you are able to read german but because of the importance of the german language for getting into the history of AH I comment also on german books.
A great work about WWI is Manfried Rauchensteiner's "Der Untergang des Doppeladlers". Rauchensteiner is the current director of the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum and a great still living historian on AH.
A new critical biography on Conrad v. Hötzendorf was published in 2004 by the american historian Lawrence Sondhaus. I like it a much although the long parts about Conrad's private relationships and its (possible?) impact on his decisions seem to be questionable.
An older bio about Conrad wrote Oskar Regele in 1955. The book is a bit hagiographic but still a good read. At the moment I read the part about the campaign in Galicia 1914 from the chapter "Conrad als Feldherr". Regele views the missing german support in not attacking into russian Poland from the north as the main (only?) reason of the austrian defeat.
It seems that Regele is still influenced by national pride and wants to defend the honour of "his" old army.

Andrej

Post by Andrej » 31 Jul 2005, 20:21

Only in italian, i think...

Offelli Siro, Le armi e gli equipaggiamenti dell'esercito austro-ungarico dal 1914 al 1918 (weapons and equipment of the Austro-hungarian army from 1914 to 1918), Gino Rossato editore, 2001 Volume I and II.

Volume I: uniforms-badges-buffetterie(how to traslate"buffetterie" in english?)
Volume II:regimental banners-weapons(rifles and guns)-field and personal items

bye :wink:

Oberst Mihael

Post by Oberst Mihael » 24 Oct 2005, 13:05

Charles W. Ingrao: The Habsburg Monarchy 1618-1815

Gives a good overall view on the Empire in that timeframe.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”