Archduke Ferdinand Card with German Serbian-Croatian words

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
JLEES

Archduke Ferdinand Card with German Serbian-Croatian words

Post by JLEES » 31 Dec 2005 19:17

Hello,
I recently discovered this postcard in my collection that was mailed from Vienna in 1914 to someone in the USA, which martyrs assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and is wife Sophia. Could someone translate the front and rear side of the card into English and let me know if it says anything interesting? It looks like the German word for France is written on the rear side of the card, but my German is not good enough to understand everything. In fact, I think it is written in the Serbian-Croatian language. The card has been the USA now for more than 90-years and has been possibly un-translated up until this time.

Underneath their picture I believe it states, “Oh, noble twig(sprig) from Habsburgs mighty stem (trunk, family) how are you flourishing so mightily henceforth!” Can anyone put this into better English for me?
Thanks,
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oberst Mihael

Post by Oberst Mihael » 11 Jan 2006 01:16

I think the writing is probably Czech, maybe Slovak.

JLEES

Postcard

Post by JLEES » 11 Jan 2006 01:37

That woulde make sence! These were areas in the old Austria-Hungarian Empire back then. Hoepfully someone will see it that can identify the language.
James

Oberst Mihael

Post by Oberst Mihael » 14 Jan 2006 10:43

By the way, it's very difficult to make out certain words. Transcribe them here please, if you can, and I will probably be able to give you a very rough idea what's it about, until a member who speaks the language finds this topic. :)

aljaz

Post by aljaz » 14 Jan 2006 11:34

It's nothing special; František has informed his brother and his wife, that F. Ferdinand and his wife has been assasinated, by G Princip on 28. august. And he wonders, why his brother doesn't replay on his letters.

JLEES

Postcard

Post by JLEES » 14 Jan 2006 12:06

Aljaz,
Many thanks for translating the card. I'm glad there is at least some mension of F. Ferdinand assassination in the message. Is it written in the Slovak or Czech language? Would it please be possible to write an exact translation for me?
Thanks,
James

aljaz

Post by aljaz » 14 Jan 2006 17:45

Well, you should post bigger photo, this photo is too small to recognize some words. I'm not expert in Slavic languages, although I'm Slovene; it seems to be Slovak language, but i'm not certain, beacuse the difference between slovak and czech language is not big.

JLEES

Austrian Postcard

Post by JLEES » 15 Jan 2006 15:42

aljaz,
I hope this works. Sometimes I have problems blowing images up. If you could give me an exact translation into English that would be great. I'm trying to write something about this card for a postcard club.
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JLEES

Postcard

Post by JLEES » 15 Jan 2006 15:50

I didn't work so I made a scan of a scan to blow it up.
James

aljaz

Post by aljaz » 17 Jan 2006 08:49

It says:

Dear brother and sister in law. I send to you the picture of our archduke Franz Ferdinand and Sofia duke of Hohenberg,
which have been on 28.th of june in Sarajevo killed by Princip. With greetings ..... your brother František.....

The last few lines are not so well visible, and my knowledge of Czech language is also very limited, although is roughly similar to Slovene language. Maybe some czech members might help translating.

JLEES

Postcard

Post by JLEES » 17 Jan 2006 12:14

aljaz,
Thanks very much for the kind translation. The card makes better sense now. Have a great day!
James

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”