"The Habsburg Monarchy 1809-1918" by Taylor

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Marcus

"The Habsburg Monarchy 1809-1918" by Taylor

Post by Marcus » 07 Feb 2006, 21:17

(click the cover & buy it to support the site & forum)

I've just finished reading "The Habsburg Monarchy, 1809-1918 : A History of the Austrian Empire and Austria-Hungary" by A. J. P. Taylor and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that book.
My knowledge of the AH is very limited so I can't really comment on how reliable it is, but it seems well researched when focused on the nationality questions. On the downside I think the author is at times a bit to eager to mix his personal thoughts on the persons involved rather than just stick to the facts and mentions most of the foreign affairs (including the wars) only in passing and the epilogue with his thoughts on the "future" (the post-WW2 years) is of course not up to date.

/Marcus

Oberst Mihael

Post by Oberst Mihael » 08 Feb 2006, 01:00

I am reading this book right now, and about halfway through, I have to admit I am little bit disappointed. While I can't deny that the author knows what he is talking about, I feel that he focuses on some parts in a too narrow a way, and his personal feelings show clearly.
It's good if you want to get a feel for the life in the last decades of the empire, as well as the problems that the different nationalities were facing in that time. But the author almost completely disregards the bigger picture, very little is said about diplomacy, the Habsburgs themselves, etc.

Mixed feelings, but that may change when I finish the book.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 14 Feb 2006, 19:57

Has anyone else here read the book and can share their thoughts on it?

/Marcus

pikeshot1600

Post by pikeshot1600 » 06 Apr 2006, 19:43

Hello Marcus. I just registered today, and have been reading through some topics of interest to me. One of those has always been Austria-Hungary, and also the history of the Habsburg monarchies since 1519.

I have read Taylor's book and I am of the opinion that he brings a mid-twentieth century bias to his historiography. The book was originally published in 1948 and the experience of the recent wars colored much of the history that was written about central Europe. Even before that, C.V. Wedgewood's The Thirty Years War (1939) was heavily influenced by the experience of the Great War and the turmoil and instability of the inter-war years.

Having said that, part of the bias I mentioned is that historians, as a group, had turned away from diplomatic and military history in those times. It became very unfashionable to discuss or write about such things given their recent history. In academic circles, it was not thought that any well adjusted adult should waste his time with these matters. (The tyrrany of the social scientists :) )

Taylor was a fine historian, wrote well and had mastery of his sources. However, his 1948 view of central Europeans is skewed by Herr Hitler and WWII. "Hitler learnt everything he knew in Austria," etc. He talks of "Viennese demogogy." Blah, blah. I guess in 1948 he could be excused for that.

The book is a good survey of the political dynamics of the dual monarchy after 1867 and is worth reading for that alone. If Taylor does not treat personalities, I assume it is because he was not writing biography in that title.

Mike

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Apr 2006, 19:23

Mike,

I agree with you that his views are heavily influenced by the time the book was written in, especially in regard to the German aspects of Austria-Hungary.

/Marcus

CMF

Post by CMF » 10 Apr 2006, 16:02

I read Taylor's book whilst writing my MA dissertation on Austria-Hungary's relative unpreparedness for European war in 1914. He is certainly no fan of the Habsburg monarchy, and I found the book uninspiring - but then again, I find his reputation as a historian rather overegged.

pikeshot1600

Post by pikeshot1600 » 10 Apr 2006, 21:05

Taylor's most impressive work IMHO is The struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918. He was at his best with straightforward historiography rather than some grand thesis.

His anti-German feelings were well known until about 1960 or so when his Origins of the Second World War created such a stir. It seems he had some epiphany that recreated Hitler as a German statesman like Bismarck. Rather odd for a Laborite.

Missouri Brigade

Book Recomendation

Post by Missouri Brigade » 11 Jun 2006, 08:15

Greetings,

One of the best books, IMHO, about this subject is:

Hapsburg Monarchy among the Great Powers, 1815-1918 by F. R. Bridge

He uses German, French and Austrian, amongst other, sources and is pretty objective.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Missouri Brigade

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”