totenkopf History - Help

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Bergmolch

totenkopf History - Help

Post by Bergmolch » 28 Feb 2006, 16:50

I'm tryng to write an article about the use of "Totenkopfe" or Skulls at Military Level: it means I would like to know any kind of story related to that use starting from the Middle Age to our days.
I know few shoots about the Totenkopf Husaren, Sturmtruppen, Templars but I would like to know more and more.
Anybody out here may help me?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Andrej

Re: totenkopf History - Help

Post by Andrej » 01 Mar 2006, 16:39

Drapeau Noir wrote: I know few shoots about the Totenkopf Husaren

Tom
The Schwarze Korp was arruolated in 1809 by the duke of Braunschweig and fighted under the British service during Napoleonic wars to 1814.
The Infantry weared the "polrock", a black overcoat with black clasps (alamari). All the Korp (including Husaren and Ulanen) weared the Totenkopf on the headgear except the Snipers Company (I have no idea to translate the italian term "compagnia tiratori"!).

The totenkopf was used by the Braunschweig Husaren-Regiment 17 on the pelzmutze and on the Sabretache(only the officer's sabretache, in the service uniform) since 1883. This regiment used also the black Attila (It was adopted in 1850 and replaced the blue tunic in use since 1830). The black color was used to remember the Schwarze Korp, of which the regiment belonged.
In 1886 the Army of the Duchy of Braunschweig was incorporated in the Prussian Army.

During the Napoleonic wars Spain formed many regiments of volunteers and were called with particular names. The "Regiment of Death" was a clearly exemple. It weared uniforms supplied by Britain but used 2 signs of Spanish-origin: the red cockade and the totenkopf on the shako.

Andrea.

Bergmolch

Re: totenkopf History - Help

Post by Bergmolch » 02 Mar 2006, 12:47

Thanks Andrej,
Mandi.

T

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”