French & German Infantry Replacement. 1914

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

French & German Infantry Replacement. 1914

Postby Carl Schwamberger » 06 Aug 2017 03:39

I'd long assumed there was no regular or systematic replacement of losses in the infantry regiments in the opening months of 1914. Can anyone point to sources on this subject, or describe what either side did about filling the ranks back out during August - October, & beyond to December?

Thanks

jluetjen

Re: French & German Infantry Replacement. 1914

Postby jluetjen » 11 Aug 2017 12:36

As far as I know the German system worked as planned prior to the war. Solders were moved up from the Reserve and Ersatz units to fill the gaps caused by casualties, in addition complete reserve regiments were brought up when ready. Ersatz units were maintained in each district which continued to train and move soldiers up as each year's class was trained. Soldiers recuperating from injuries might also be assigned to these ersatz units if they were not able return to the front, or until they were ready.

This is documented in a number of books included "The Kaiser's Army" by David Stone, "The Imperial German Army" by Cron, and Imperial Germany by Robinson and Robinson.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: French & German Infantry Replacement. 1914

Postby Carl Schwamberger » 15 Aug 2017 03:50

Thanks. I'll have to look in the Library for Stones book. The fragment I've seen cited seemed different. One item was the autm of 1914 class was used to form "Nue Reserve" corps that were used as operational units in a late October offensive. The battle or massacre of the innocents as I've seen it called.

Return to “First World War”