WWI American info

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
jslade0

WWI American info

Post by jslade0 » 07 Dec 2006, 15:08

I'm 23, and my mom had me when she was... 41. Her father had her when he was 50. So that puts my grandfather at being born in 1892. Its sort of incredible, but true. He and his brother were both in the Great War. We have a few personal affects, a bible, dogtags, some letters. But I have no idea what his unit actually did in the war.

I know he was in the 53rd Pioneer Infantry, from begining to end. Other than that, I have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 01 Mar 2007, 06:59

The 53rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment had its roots in New York's 47th Infantry Regiment. This history of the 47th in the modern-day New York Army National Guard mentions that the it was reorganized for WW1 as assault engineers, the 53rd Pioneer, which saw action at Meuse-Argonne and St. Mihiel. Upon its return to the US it absorbed the State Guard unit that had been raised in its place, and after the war eventually became part of the 27th Infantry Division -- whose black-and-red emblem has a monogram of the letters "NY".

This local history of Camp Wadsworth, where the unit trainined in South Carolina, states that the 53rd went to France as a non-divisional unit in July 1918:

"53rd Pioneer Infantry: Formerly 47th New York Infantry. Composed of 31 officers and 927 enlisted men after reorganization. Commanded by Colonel Chas. H. Englesby and filled to wartime strength with draftees. The regiment left Camp Wadsworth on July 30th with 3549 officers and men."

Here is an interview on file at the Harry Truman Presidential Library with a Missouri Congressman of the 1930s, who mentioned his company command in the 53rd Pioneers.

What do the dog tags look like? Can you post a picture? If not, then what do they say?

Typical American WW1 Army dog tags are circular, about the size of a 50-cent coin. They would be stamped with the soldier's name along their circumference, and his unit in the center.

JamesL

Post by JamesL » 01 Mar 2007, 21:20

53rd Pioneer Infantry
Organization - January 1918 Camp Wadsworth SC
July 1918 - Camp Upton NY
August 1918 - Embarkation Hoboken NJ
August 1918 - France
May 1919 - France
May 1919 - Camp Stuart VA
Demobilization - May 1919 Camp Upton NY

Source: Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War

mcclintof

Re: WWI American info

Post by mcclintof » 07 Oct 2010, 13:10

My great grandfather was in CO. L of the 53rd Pioneers. He died in 88' I have a letter dated 1933 he sent to the War Dept. looking for some of his war buddies. I have been looking for a Company roster or pictures but have been unable to find. One of the platoons from his company assisted with the rescue of the "lost battalion". He sustained minor shrapnal wounds but did not say anything because he did not want his mother to worry.

Dave Bender

He and his brother were both in the Great War

Post by Dave Bender » 08 Oct 2010, 17:40

I've got you beat. My grandfather served in the Heer prior to WWI. He moved the family from Elsaß to the USA during 1912. Apparently he ignored the mobilization of German Army reservists during August 1914 and remained in the USA. :)

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » 23 May 2012, 19:09

My Great Uncle served with the 53rd Pioneer Infantry. His name was Henry Emil Stoesen. I have been looking for information on him and his service. What I know is that he was a corporal and died after the war of spinal meningitis. Below is the picture that I have of his grave marker. His body was later returned to Charleston, SC.

I would love to find out if anyone has more information.

Chris
Chris Stoesen

Raven299

Post by Raven299 » 04 Jan 2016, 07:18

53rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment
Hello, my grandfather served with HQ Company of the 53rd. I have his ceremonial handbook which was issued by the company commander right before returning to the USA if anyone is interested in it I have it scanned and can send it to you. Also if you have any further info on the 53rd I would love to have it.

Regards

Tony

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 29 Aug 2017, 00:33

Tony,
My Grandfather was in the 53rd Pioneer Infantry as well and I am trying to find out more information of what he went through during his time over in France from Aug. 6, 1917 to Jan. 1919. He died from being gassed by the Germans. I would be interested in seeing your granddad's ceremonial book. My grandfather Pasquale Carcaramo was a Mus. 2 - he was a muscian his company was HQ. Does anyone have any pictures of the 53rd Pioneer Infantry?

Regards,
Nancy

Raven299

Post by Raven299 » 30 Aug 2017, 19:50

Hello Nancy! great to hear from a 53rd PIR descendent like me. I've attached some pics for you. The scanned book I have is too large and the website won't let me upload. Please send me an email address and I'll try to send it that way. I see your grandfather's name listed, line 32. in the back of the book! My grandfather is line 189.

Regards

Tony
[email protected]
Attachments
Col Englesby 53 PIR Commander.jpg
Col Englesby
Col Englesby 53 PIR Commander.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
Capt Brooks 53 PIR HQ Co.jpg
Capt Brooks
Capt Brooks 53 PIR HQ Co.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
1st Sgt McKinley 53 PIR HQ Co.jpg
1st Sgt McKinley
1st Sgt McKinley 53 PIR HQ Co.jpg (100 KiB) Viewed 1445 times

Drfronkonstein

Post by Drfronkonstein » 15 Oct 2017, 23:41

[email protected] wrote:Tony,
My Grandfather was in the 53rd Pioneer Infantry as well and I am trying to find out more information of what he went through during his time over in France from Aug. 6, 1917 to Jan. 1919. He died from being gassed by the Germans. I would be interested in seeing your granddad's ceremonial book. My grandfather Pasquale Carcaramo was a Mus. 2 - he was a muscian his company was HQ. Does anyone have any pictures of the 53rd Pioneer Infantry?

Regards,
Nancy

My name is Vincent Carcaramo. Your grandfather is the brother of my great-grandfather, Dominick. I have been doing genealogy for years, and my grandfather, Joseph, had recalled "Pasquale's daughter or granddaughter named Nancy" but could not remember her last name. The family tree I've been doing for years stops at Pasquale. My grandfather remembers going to his funeral and I can remember a story he told me about him as a young boy. I have some pictures of him as well. Please email me at [email protected].

Thank you,

Vincent Carcaramo

Return to “First World War”