Did WW1 really have a reason?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
alibabakes5

Did WW1 really have a reason?

Post by alibabakes5 » 05 Aug 2020 11:27

I’m guessing this is more of a philosophical question and I’m more interested in your personal opinion. Factually, one could argue that it was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, or that it was about colonies, stopping German mainland dominance, etc.

But for me it’s quite hard to grasp why WW1 had to happen. It’s hard to find any rational reason. It’s almost like a bunch of people with stiff hats and handlebar mustaches idolized war and in the end they let out an uncontrollable Monster that consumed human flesh by the millions. As if it was the climax of 19th century romanticism.

Like no one knew what they were going into and no one really knew what they were fighting for, only that they can’t lose.

In the end even the victors came out worse than if they had just lost 4 years earlier.

WW2 was basically the rematch of WW1. WW2 also had ideologies battling with each other. WW1 had no ideologies, just a pointless waste and suffering of millions of human lives.

What are your thoughts?

paulrward

Re: Did WW1 really have a reason?

Post by paulrward » 05 Aug 2020 18:05

Hello All :

In the year 1920, the London Daily Mail offered a prize of 100 pounds for the best fictional
headline.

The winning contribution was :

"Archduke Franz Ferdinand Found Alive: World War Fought By Mistake..."

Respectfully :

Paul R. Ward
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices banned, are voices who cannot share information....

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 05 Aug 2020 20:37

alibabakes5 wrote:
05 Aug 2020 11:27
I’m guessing this is more of a philosophical question and I’m more interested in your personal opinion. Factually, one could argue that it was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, or that it was about colonies, stopping German mainland dominance, etc.

But for me it’s quite hard to grasp why WW1 had to happen. It’s hard to find any rational reason. It’s almost like a bunch of people with stiff hats and handlebar mustaches idolized war and in the end they let out an uncontrollable Monster that consumed human flesh by the millions. As if it was the climax of 19th century romanticism.

Like no one knew what they were going into and no one really knew what they were fighting for, only that they can’t lose.

In the end even the victors came out worse than if they had just lost 4 years earlier.

WW2 was basically the rematch of WW1. WW2 also had ideologies battling with each other. WW1 had no ideologies, just a pointless waste and suffering of millions of human lives.

What are your thoughts?
You have started a very broad open ended question about a topic which has exercised great brains since 1914. The subject has generated enough papers and books to fell se3veral forests. As a starting point try this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historiog ... orld_War_I Then revisit with a more focused question.

Paul H

Post by Paul H » 27 Nov 2020 13:38

Yes WW1 had various reasons, for example the potential for war for Britain did not come at a better time due to the poverty the elite were facing a potential uprising and type civil war, hence any excuse to go to war was good. I got that information from a English historian.

Having said that If could well be possible that a similar problem with poverty etc that English were having could of been same real reason the Elite German were happy to go to war. Maybe somebody who knows German history could expand.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 27 Nov 2020 22:05

alibabakes5,

the real "reason", Oha...

Both great grandfathers, Franz Folkerts, and Heinrich-Christian Westerholt were soldiers in the first World War.

Victims of politics, they killed and were wounded, eastern front, russia, western front later, whatever one is able to imagine...
Heinrich-Christian passed away 1947, Franz in the late 1960s.

Great grandfather Franz, I remember him from the 1960s, a gnarly old man, he never smiled, sitting very close to the oven in the
living room all day long, always freezing, no more toes at all, his toes he left behind in the russian winter.

Looking at the very few photos of both greatgrandfathers and their families nowadays, this is very strange,
hope to share a few old photos later...

My grandmother, born in the year 1914, she always rememberd her father Franz as the "tall man with a red beard", she grew up,
while her father served in the war...
When Franz returned in 1918, he did not recognize his youngest daughter anymore.

Hans1906

hselassi

Post by hselassi » 28 Nov 2020 21:41

I would say it was your standard European tribal war, they like having one of those every century (WWI, Napoleonic Wars, 7 Yrs War, 30 Yrs War, and so on back to the fall of the Roman Empire).

Everything would have worked out well (we'd be having the "X" Years War right about now), except our Klansman in Chief just had to save his godly English and put an end to the evil Catholic Habsburgs, so the US messed up the process and we got WWII, the Cold War, US as World Policeman, and after only four years of sanity, we are back to being Europe's b***h (hooray 0.5% defense budgets are back, Uncle Sugar will fight our wars for us again).

Just my 2 cents worth, with tongue maybe planted near cheek.

/s/ Harry

Return to “First World War”