WWI Submarines at Helgoland

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
russ.case

WWI Submarines at Helgoland

Post by russ.case » 08 Oct 2020, 01:57

Hello Experts,

I would be most appreciative if anyone could tell me the numbers of the submarines operating from Helgoland or around Helgoland (based elsewhere) during WWI.

If possible, I am looking for a particular submarine that was operating off the coast of Helgoland on or around 10 October 1917. I have already ruled out U25 and UB148.

Thank you.

Felix C

Re: WWI Submarines at Helgoland

Post by Felix C » 08 Oct 2020, 23:52

So far nothing in the I, III and V Flotillas for being around Helogland on Oct. 17, 1917 using Spindler vol. 4

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 12 Oct 2020, 14:46

As an FYI, the large U-Kreuzer submarines were under a separate command. Did not check those. Will do so a bit later today.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 13 Oct 2020, 17:21

Nothing regarding the above noted. Should mention the IV Flotilla based out of Emden showed no activity around H on that date.

I read where the British tried a submarine trap operation with hydrophone equipped trawlers, DDs, mined nets, etc in early October 1917 in the Dogger Bank area along a common route used by Ger. submarines. That would be quite a bit west of Helgoland.

russ.case

Post by russ.case » 28 Oct 2020, 03:26

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I have a photograph dated 17 October 1917 (Sorry, not 10 October 1917) from a well respected photographer. The same photograph is stored in the National Archives indicating that the submarine is UB148. I have the log books for UB148 and it was not around Helgoland on 17 October 1917, plus the features of the bow and conning tower of UB148 do not match the details in the photo.

So, I thought if I start with a list of submarines in the area, then systematically eliminate them, then the remaining submarine must be the correct one.

But, I am still interested in all submarines that operated in and around Helgoland during WWI (and WWII).

Thanks.

russ.case

Post by russ.case » 28 Oct 2020, 03:28

In fact, the photo shown as my icon is the submarine I am looking for. It's not easy to see in the small photo, but Helgoland is in the background.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 28 Oct 2020, 17:39

Sure that is a famous photo. The Ger. Official History would not detail training or test sorties unless something untoward occurred. WW1 forum at uboat.net might be of assistance. The waters off H were within the protected minefield so natural areas for tests if not able to transit to the very safe Baltic side.

andrus

Post by andrus » 02 Dec 2020, 06:44

Same or similar picture on book cover of H. Bendert's book "Die UB-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine 1914-1918".
He claims it's UB 67.

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 14 Dec 2020, 19:25

I found that same picture elsewhere on the web with the caption:
UB-148 at sea, on her way to the United States of America, circa 1919, with Lt. Comdr. Harold T. Smith in command, after having been surrendered to the United States Navy, at Harwich, England.
As far as seeing Helgoland in the background of the picture -- I'm not seeing it. That's not to say that it wasn't retouched to remove the land and thus make the picture more dramatic. This does look likely since you'll notice that the horizon makes a noticeable step behind the sub's conning tower. Another thing that makes the picture look suspicious to me is that there doesn't seem to be a deck gun on the sub. Once again I suspect that it was retouched out of the picture -- which might be the case of the picture was originally taken by the Germans during the war. If it was taken while the U-Boat was under the command of Lt. Comdr. Harold T. Smith, the reasons for retouching the picture aren't clear.

I doubt that the picture is the UB148 given that the sub in your signature picture looks considerably different than the UB148 shown in this picture when in US possession after the end of the war. Specifically the conning tower is the wrong shape. It seems to better resemble the conning tower of the UB88 than the UB148. Also note that both subs as surrendered had deck guns, which is not shown on the picture of the sub broaching the surface.

Return to “First World War”