Ober Ost Territories, 1915-1918 - History and Maps

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
sylvieK4

Ober Ost Territories, 1915-1918 - History and Maps

Post by sylvieK4 » 29 Jan 2011, 20:14

Can anyone post, or direct me to a map detailing the boundaries of the so-called "Ober Ost" territories? Administered by the German military, these regions in the Balkans and in eastern Poland were, effectively, a buffer zone between Russian territory and German occupied Poland. I am particularly interested in the boundaries of the territories administered by the OberOst in eastern Poland, south of Brest-Litovsk.

In the map below, the diagonal blue stripes indicate the OberOst. Is this an accurate depiction of the OberOst region?
Any more-detailed maps will be appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend any good sources that discuss the social, political and economic administration of these territories by the OberOst military rule? Thanks!

sylvieK4

Re: Ober Ost Territories, 1915-1918 - History and Maps

Post by sylvieK4 » 06 Feb 2011, 18:48

Looking thorugh "Google Books", I found a WWI-era article touching on the rule of OberOst in Lithuania. Penned by an annonymous author, this article appears in"The New York Times Current History: The European War, Volume 14" and it presents a bleak and heavily biased view of the German occupation.

See: "Horrors of the Invasion of Lithuania", page 504:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JOELAA ... on&f=false

Can anyone recommend sources that are more detailed - and perhaps more objective than this one? I am hoping to find reliable and balanced sources that offer a description of the day-to-day existence of local people (rural and city) living under Ober Ost rule, as well as information about the administrative side of the OberOst system and accounts from the perspective of ordinary German occupiers of the day.

Also, is anyone aware of any differences in administration between the OberOst in Lithuania and the southern OberOst in the former Congress Poland territory west of the Bug River? (See diagonal striped regions in the map above.)

Thanks!

Gotzingen

Re: Ober Ost Territories, 1915-1918 - History and Maps

Post by Gotzingen » 07 Jan 2015, 19:23

Hope this isn't too late http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ober_Ost#m ... OstMap.png. I'm also planning to get some detailed maps from an archive. PM me if interested.

Return to “First World War”