Passchendaele: A New History (Lloyd, N.) reviews?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: Passchendaele: A New History (Lloyd, N.) reviews?

Post by Terry Duncan » 04 Mar 2018, 17:14

Thank you everyone, I will have a look at the book as soon as I can, the concept is interesting.

monk2002uk

Post by monk2002uk » 05 Mar 2018, 11:13

Attrition wrote:Do you think he made his point about a lost opportunity?

Do you know where the debates you had in the early 2000s about the planning for the 3rd battle of Ypres are please? I've looked but can't find them.
Yes, he did. The only minor weakness is that Simon did not look in detail at the training that the French infantry received after the declaration of war. He clearly says, however, that the book is starting point for more detailed coverage of various aspects.

The material on Third Ypres is in the Great War Forum. Is that what you are referring to?

Robert

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 05 Mar 2018, 15:02

Yes, no wonder I couldn't find it here; thanks.

The Ibis

Post by The Ibis » 05 Mar 2018, 23:35

monk2002uk wrote:
Attrition wrote:Do you think he made his point about a lost opportunity?

Do you know where the debates you had in the early 2000s about the planning for the 3rd battle of Ypres are please? I've looked but can't find them.
Yes, he did. The only minor weakness is that Simon did not look in detail at the training that the French infantry received after the declaration of war. He clearly says, however, that the book is starting point for more detailed coverage of various aspects.

The material on Third Ypres is in the Great War Forum. Is that what you are referring to?

Robert
Hi Robert,

House mentioned on Great War Forum (he only posted a few times, sadly), that his research on the opening battles is far more extensive than what was in his thesis. Does the book cover more than the thesis? If so, I might have to move it up the list!

Thanks
"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." - Casey Stengel

monk2002uk

Post by monk2002uk » 15 Aug 2019, 11:33

Hi The Ibis,

I don't know the thesis, sorry, so cannot provide a comparison.

Robert

The Ibis

Post by The Ibis » 15 Aug 2019, 22:38

Hi Robert. I've since read the book. Enough time had passed between reading the dissertation and the book that I couldn't say for sure whether there was much, if any, new material in the latter. But it didn't seem so. Either way, the book is most certainly worth reading.
"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." - Casey Stengel

Return to “First World War”