German navy use of Mondragón rifles?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Hama

German navy use of Mondragón rifles?

Post by Hama » 22 Sep 2017, 00:52

Saw this claimed a few times on various websites but with no real details or sources given. Does anyone here know whether the German Navy in the First World War made use of Mondragón semi-auto rifles? If so are there any details on how many, when/where, etc? I've only ever come across sources stating that the airforce used them, so the claims of the navy possibly also using some got me curious.

Latze

Re: German navy use of Mondragón rifles?

Post by Latze » 29 Sep 2017, 15:38

There is a book detailing all the small arms of the German Imperial navy:

Hans Reckendorf "Die Handwaffen der Königlich Preussischen und der Kaiserlichen Marine", Dortmund-Schönau (Selbstverlag), 1983

It does indeed contain a section about the Mondragón rifle (in German service "Flieger-Selbstladekarabiner M1915"). You can see the table of contents here:
http://www.deutsches-blankwaffenforum.d ... 224_1.html

But my guess is, that the weapon was only used by observers in airplanes operated by navy fliers before the introduction of machine guns.

Hama

Post by Hama » 29 Sep 2017, 20:43

Thanks Latze, I'll keep my eyes open for that book. My German isn't very good at all but hopefully I can find someone to translate. :)

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 03 Oct 2017, 17:10

The book "Gun Collectors Digest 5th Edition " has an article "The Guns of the German Navy 1914-1918" This rifle was used by air units, pre machine gun, for air defense purposes, did see some limited use at the front with the sturmtrupps, some u-boats carried them, Observer schools used them too.

Hama

Post by Hama » 06 Oct 2017, 15:36

Thanks for the information!

Return to “First World War”