SMS Wolf (II)Auxiliary Cruiser

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Edward L. Hsiao

SMS Wolf (II)Auxiliary Cruiser

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 31 Dec 2017, 06:26

Gentlemen,

What did the German auxiliary cruiser Wolf did after she came back to Germany on February 1918 from over a year raiding cruise? Did the Wolf made a few short cruises in the Baltic?

Edward L. Hsiao

jluetjen

Re: SMS Wolf (II)Auxiliary Cruiser

Post by jluetjen » 01 Jan 2018, 02:11

I expect that she would have been put up to be refurbished after the extended cruise. But given the stage in the war, it may have just been put-aside. Interestingly the book "Wolf" by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen (Author) is silent on the subject. Wikipedia reports that for the remainder of the war, the Wolf was employed in the Baltic Sea. After the war she was ceded to France and sold to Compagnie des Messageries Maritimes of Paris, refitted and renamed Antinous. She was scrapped in 1931 in Italy.it was scrapped in 1931.

Given that Russia had already exited the war at that point, I'm not sure what she would have done in the Baltic aside from being a freighter.

It's an interesting question. I wonder if anyone can offer anything better than conjecture.

Felix C

Re: SMS Wolf (II)Auxiliary Cruiser

Post by Felix C » 05 Jan 2018, 19:53

Considered too valuable to risk again, Wolf served in the Baltic Sea as a submarine tender, then renamed Ostsee in 1918 and finished the war as an auxiliary minelayer.

Return to “First World War”