Pictures of preserved battlefields

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
South

Pictures of preserved battlefields

Post by South » 29 May 2018, 08:49

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/ ... -i/561353/

Good morning all,
Above per title.
~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Sheldrake

Re: Pictures of preserved battlefields

Post by Sheldrake » 29 May 2018, 09:41

This is clickbait. The landing page is an invitation to share your personal data with advertisers.

Most of these images appear to be from Michael Maur Sheils' centenary photographic exhibition. "Fields of Battle lands of peace." You can see these here and buy the images legally http://www.fieldsofbattle1418.org/photographer.html Mike has done a great job and many of these striking images have been on show over the last four years.

South

Post by South » 29 May 2018, 10:09

Good morning Sheldrake,
Appreciate explaining what "clickbait" means.
Are their obvious indicators to get alerted to sites that are really traps by advertisers ?
Will soon glance at Mile's collection. I'm an Asiaologist so don't buy too much European material. The day after the Hong Kong handover, I spend the morning at Stanley Military Cemetery. All graves photographed.
Admittedly, not familiar with term "landing page".
~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 01 Jun 2018, 00:51

Well.

Click bait is a well known term for sites designed to attract visitors for advertising purposes. The landing page is er where you land when you follow the link.In this case it is an invitation to share personal information.

I have known Michael Maur Shiels for over fifteen years and greatly admire his expertise as a photographer.His work is brilliant. The linked website seems to ripoff his images to present them as something new. It isn't. A simple link to his site or any of the exhibitions he has mounted since 2014 would have encouraged forum members to see his work unencumbered by the data grab of the click-bait site.

South

Post by South » 01 Jun 2018, 07:47

Good morning Sheldrake,
Appreciate this information.
My colleagues and brothers-in-arms tell me that ANYTHING on the web is subject to exploitation. This includes the authentic.
I do, of course, support photo-historians and hope for your friend's continued successful work products.
~Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “First World War”