Gunboat Manchuria and cruiser Askold

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
jerryasher

Gunboat Manchuria and cruiser Askold

Post by jerryasher » 05 Oct 2018, 20:11

This gunboat operated on the Yangzi in 1911 at the time of the Ten/Ten Revolution that lead to the Declaration of the Republic of China. I can think of no reason that she or other naval units and army contingents would not have been deployed to upheld and protected Russian treaty rights, as did the British, American, Japanese et al, until mobilization for World War began in July and August 1914. I have not seen or read a single account that mentions the withdrawal of forces from China, the concessions and garrisons at Tianjin and Wuhan (Hankow), navigation and protection of shipping on the Peiho and Yangzi, as part of the mobilization. Can anyone help? Something on the internet? a textual source in English,, French, Spanish, Italian? Askold may have been at Qingdao in the early days of August 1914, made a quick to Vladivostok and voyage to Hong Kong? I will, assuming the moderator has no objection also post this on the Soviet Union at War Board. Many thanks in advance.

Return to “First World War”