Rules of War for Executing a Wounded Comrade

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
scotisle

Rules of War for Executing a Wounded Comrade

Post by scotisle » 07 Oct 2018, 16:13

I'm a History teacher in NYC. An English teacher reached out regarding the Rules of War in WWI. She's teaching All Quiet on the Western Front and the students were wondering how different armies instructed soldiers about mercy killings. Were their instructions? I took an educated guess that it depended on the national army and the resources available. I would guess that an army like Russia's with less medical supplies would have more mercy killings, while Britain and the USA would have more men brought back to hospitals. The students were wondering if anyone was ever prosecuted for a mercy killing in WWI? It's not my area of expertise, unfortunately. Thank you!

Sheldrake

Re: Rules of War for Executing a Wounded Comrade

Post by Sheldrake » 07 Oct 2018, 17:44

I can only write about the British. There is nothing in Kings Regulations about mercy killing. It was proper to put a horse or mule out of its misery, but it was and is not lawful to kill a wounded man. Morphine was issued as a pain killer.

This did not mean that it did not happen. There is an account of an otherwise unwounded man shot by one of his comrades when he fell into a shell hole on Passchendaele ridge and was sinking slowly into mud that was reaching his face.

Academic references here

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=smil20

scotisle

Post by scotisle » 18 Oct 2018, 03:18

Sheldrake,

That academic source is perfect! Even mentions AQOTWF. Well done!

Habu

Post by Habu » 26 Oct 2018, 19:39

A few of the WWI vets I interviewed (or knew socially) mentioned it. In a couple cases, unit leaders had previously set a policy of when a person was gassed and they could not evac, "something" would be done. A couple more stated or implied that sometimes whoever was on the scene would make the call to do "something". I don't recall anyone ever acknowledging knowing what that "something" was, there seemed to be an unspoken understanding of what was expected. There were a couple cases where the vet I was speaking with would sort of acknowledge awareness that it happened, then shy away from it.

One vet I knew was a medical doctor. He stated that causalities were evacuated away from the lines whenever possible, in part for humane reasons, and in part because it was bad for morale at the front. He stated that when available, morphine was administered to ease breathing and reduce pain (palliative care).

One German I knew (he lived a couple doors down from me when I was a child) said that casualties were taken for treatment, then traiged. The ones for whom nothing could be done--who wouldn't make it no matter what treatment they received--were made as comfortable as possible. He said he thought maybe they were administered something (morphine?) for the pain, but they soon passed. Another German I interviewed implied that sometimes frontline troops would "help" wounded prisoners they were unable to transport. Those interviews and conversations took place in the 1970s, and often in the company of US veterans of WWI. Those US vets did not seem to be surprised by what they heard. A few times they would look away, as if it was something they didn't want to think about. They did not seem to ever resent or "hold it against" the Germans.

This was not something that suddenly developed in WWI. But it wasn't something people talked about.

scotisle

Post by scotisle » 26 Oct 2018, 19:43

Thanks, Habu, this is useful. Will share with my students.

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 26 Oct 2018, 20:46

From talks I had many years ago with veterans, it was not uncommon to leave a pistol/revolver with a terminally wounded comrade, or even to help hold a gun steady so the person could shoot themselves. It was not a practice the high command condoned but they knew it went on and allowed it for obvious reasons. Many of the very senior officers had fought in conflicts like the Zulu Wars where it was viewed as merciful to shoot or bayonet the wounded after a battle due to the medical standards of the day and the horrific wounds the guns caused, so they were certainly well aware such things had always gone on to one degree or other. On the other side of this though, many of the medical personnel would just find themselves helplessly watching gas victims slowly drown in their own fluids because they were not allowed to hasten their end (Hippocratic Oath) and had no treatment when the lungs had been badly damaged by the gas.

Return to “First World War”