March 1916

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Mike D.

March 1916

Post by Mike D. » 14 Nov 2018, 08:01

My elderly mother has recently developed a fascination with her cousin (Private Hopkin Hopkins, 8th Batallion,
Devonshire Regiment, Service Number 14541) who died in WW I on 22 March, 1916 and was buried in Étretat Churchyard in France.

I was hoping that one of you experts might cast some light upon a couple of issues:

(1) Why would a young man from the valleys of Wales join the Devonshire Regiment, rather than one of the Welsh regiments?

(2) Family legend has it that he was killed at Verdun. Is this tenable, given that he was buried more than 400 km away? And if not, was there any sort of military activity around Étretat (on the coast, between Dieppe and Le Havre) in March, 1916 that might explain his death?

Thanks in advance.

Richie B

Re: March 1916

Post by Richie B » 14 Nov 2018, 10:36

I think I can explain his place of burial. Étretat was the location of No 1 General Hospital. His Medal Index Card is annotated "D of W" ie Died of Wounds.

Interestingly, his Medal Index Card shows 11 January 1915 as his date of entry to the French Theatre of War. However, the War Diary for the 8th Devons shows them arriving at Le Havre on 26 July 1915 so perhaps he was assigned as a replacement to another Battalion. Unfortunately his Service Record no longer exists so that may remain a mystery.

Why was he in the Devons ?. I suspect that he was sent where he was needed. His place of enlistment is shown as Averavon.

I hope that is of some interest.

Return to “First World War”