WWI Shipwreck solved

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
South

WWI Shipwreck solved

Post by South » 16 Dec 2018, 14:34

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... stery.html

Good morning all,

Above about the USS San Diego and the cause of it's sinking in New York waters.

Note: "Torpedoes of the time carried more explosives than mines".

Fortunately I do not gamble. Otherwise I'd have wagered that the Naval Surface Warfare Center was in Virginia, a separate state from Maryland. NSWC is located at Dahlgren, Virginia.

I place trust in a boss who would utter "open fire on anything resembling a periscope".

Definitions:

- U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command: A place not appropriate to research the final episode of the USS Maine. Admiral Rickover was hush-hush. WWII's Port Chicago (now Seal Beach of Orange County, PR California ?) not appropriate for discussion.

- underwater archaeologist with the Navy: A Federal civil service employee whose hobby is SCUBA diving and frequents Andros Island, Bahamas and the Northern Marianas Islands. Official Business only.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: WWI Shipwreck solved

Post by OpanaPointer » 16 Dec 2018, 15:03

Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

South

Post by South » 16 Dec 2018, 15:31

Good morning Opana Pointer,

Appreciate link; will check shortly.

~ Bob

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 16 Dec 2018, 18:16

"...Otherwise I'd have wagered that the Naval Surface Warfare Center was in Virginia, a separate state from Maryland. NSWC is located at Dahlgren, Virginia"

Actually the Naval Surface Warfare Center has multiple locations in addition to Dahlgren VA, including Ohio of all places. They may have been referring to the NSWC location in Indian Head MD. It's no secret (https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/Warfar ... hat-We-Do/) that they have a group there that specializes in the science of blowing things up.

But then things are not always as intuitive as they would seem to be. In spite of the state of Maryland being east of the state of VA -- the NSWC in Dahlgren VA is actually further east than it's branch in Indian Head MD. Guts can sometimes be fooled. ;-)

South

Post by South » 16 Dec 2018, 20:17

Good afternoon Jluetjen,

Good info...

That's a good observation that Indian Head is more west than Dahlgren.

The overall Surface Warfare "system" or "command" - not sure of name - is huge. They're also south of here at Dam Neck, Virginia Beach area. Annually, I usually attend veterans' memorial service meetings with Dam Neck folks at Yorktown Battlefield cemeteries.

Knowing huge organizations, would guess they're also in PR California.

Keep warm up there !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “First World War”