"They Shall Not Grow Old"

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
jluetjen

"They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by jluetjen » 18 Dec 2018, 05:04

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a thread for this film already. I just came back from watching it in 3D. Having attempted to make a similar (albeit infinitesimally budgeted) video, all that I can say is... "WOW"!!! :thumbsup: I think that Peter Jackson hit it perfectly, in creating a documentary where the original people tell their own stories, rather than have the documentary-maker inflict his/her views on them. As a result we learn that the war was both better and worse than what we'd been told. I'll leave it up to the reader to watch and see what I mean.

The production was incredible, restoring color and life to what was a dim, black-and-white world. The way that he and his team were even able to restore actual speech to some of the people is incredible, not to mention the sound effects of real cannons firing real outgoing shells, and even the sound of real incoming shells. No studio effect for important sounds like that from Peter Jackson!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cSXfKSRKz4

I highly recommend it to everyone on this board. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helmut0815

Re: "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by Helmut0815 » 18 Dec 2018, 11:38

jluetjen wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 05:04
I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a thread for this film already.
Well, there is: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=238126

regegards

Helmut

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 18 Dec 2018, 11:49

There exist a thread (2010) but it was never developped:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=238126&p=2165331&h ... d#p2165331

Return to “First World War”