Background to developing the supply lines

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
South

Background to developing the supply lines

Post by South » 17 Jan 2019, 10:15

https://crosscut.com/2019/01/how-trip-t ... pply-lines

Good morning all,

Article gives background / linkage of experiences that connected to the WWI supply lines' establishment. The article tells of the experience of building a wagon road to connect to the Yukon's gold fields with the lessons learned incorporated into the US military's supply lines.

Note article's use of the word "Schlepping". The example "Schlepping gold pans and pick axes" might also allow for schlepping instruments to repel "Outlaws who held up gold seekers". Some of these instruments were on display at the NRA Museum, metro-Washington, D.C. (McLean, Virginia ?)

Article mentions General Charles Dawes.

Some quality pictures accompany article.

US Government waste on excessive procurement of vinegar and cold chisels is somewhat minor in the scheme of things. If only the Quartermaster vinegar folks adhered to strict internal controls like the USN's petroleum and coal detachments ......

I am now in the mood for some sourdough bread and, I admit, had once fallen in love with that Canadian apple juice that's fermented and then distilled.

Will make some breakfast soon, as soon as the requisition for tincture of laudanum and the sulfur drugs submitted. These medical corps supplies were reasonably priced.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

The Ibis

Re: Background to developing the supply lines

Post by The Ibis » 17 Jan 2019, 16:29

Interesting article, South. Thanks for posting.

The article reminded me about a book I saw released a few months ago entitled "An Unappreciated Field of Endeavour: Logistics and the British Expeditionary Force on the Western Front 1914-1918." The author is Clem Maginniss. Link to full description here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unappreciated- ... 1912390175

Has anyone read this yet? It looks very interesting.
"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." - Casey Stengel

The Ibis

Post by The Ibis » 17 Jan 2019, 19:15

Also...

The YouTube page for the US National Archives recently posted a number of video clips of footage relating to the AEF's Service of Supply. For instance, this is "Base Section No. 1 (St. Nazaire), Railway Artillery Reception and Assembly [1918]"

and this is "Base Section No. 1 (St. Nazaire), Prominent Visitors [1918-1919]"

There are a bunch more.
"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." - Casey Stengel

South

Post by South » 17 Jan 2019, 21:22

Good afternoon The Ibis,

Well received.

Had heard of the Maginniss book but haven't read it. Maginniss is a (probably retired) LTC or Col in the Br Army.

What got my attention in the cyber-flyer to buy the book was material on the contractor interface with the military. Contractor logistics is a BIG matter nowadays. The author/editor talks of "commercial advisers" and when I read the flyer was thinking of the vessel Lusitania.

Those AEF pictures are super. That rail gun clearly illustrates industrial warfare.

Military establishments are, for many of 'em, tradition-bound. To this day, the Omar Bradley attributed quote " Amateurs talk strategy; professionals talk logistics" is non-existent because of the subject-matter. ....... If only the contractors can help out !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “First World War”