Chinese Labouers In Russia World War I

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
jerryasher

Chinese Labouers In Russia World War I

Post by jerryasher » 30 Jan 2019 02:06

Sorry to intrude. Does anyone have any data on Chinese workers going to work in any part of Russia in the War. Some specifics --construction of the St. Petersborg --Murmanask railway? In lumber or other industries/ Many thanks in advance--any fragment at all may help me. I have data on the Chinese working under French or Britian contracts. Those workers who went to Russia may not have been under a government contract, although the government or governments may have authorized the private contracts. Also I am close to completing the details of the transport of the workers by ship from China to Europe.

Mangrove

Re: Chinese Labouers In Russia World War I

Post by Mangrove » 30 Jan 2019 12:58

According to Harry Halén, there were following number of Chinese labourers building railway and cutting wood in region around St. Petersburg in July-August 1916 based on information at the Russian State Military History Archive (RGVIA):

2008 in Novgorod Governorate,
702 in Yaroslavl Governorate and
414 in Governorate of Livonia.

Starting from August 1916, some 2100 Chinese labourers arrived from Manchuria to region around Helsinki in the Grand Duchy of Finland. They were mainly tasked to cut down wood, build railways and fortifications. However, starting from November 1916 onwards, most of the Chinese labourers were sent back to China due to insubordination, crimes and other reasons.

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 30 Jan 2019 18:53

Many thanks --Great start. Never thought that area around Helsinki was affected. Have come across some German comments that suggest Chinese or Asian Russians were as far west as Poland. Fascinating and again thank you.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 01 Feb 2019 12:08

Some additional information about the labourers around Helsinki in 1916:
Helsinki City Council Minutes of Meetings, 12 December 1916 at 7 p.m.
"No 12. Health Board's motion to take action to prevent the spread of the terrible typhus. [...] It is very likely the decease is spread by the numerous Chinese, who roam around these regions. [...]

Finnish Heritage Agency: "Chinese Labouers at Sälören, Esbo in 1916"

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 01 Feb 2019 16:42

Many thanks Mangrove and for your thought of the City Council's item number. PS Also enjoyed the photographs from the Museum.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 14 Jan 2020 17:55

Article published by Helsingin Sanomat newspaper in Finnish. Photographs from the article:

1) Chinese labourers with guards at Luukki manor in Espoo.

2) Kyrgyz labourers working in timber production at the village of Snettans manor in Espoo.

3) Chinese labourers in front of a barrack in Espoo.

4) Labourers and their guards at Nissbacka manor in Espoo.

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 16 Jan 2020 21:54

Thank You Mangrove for the update and staying with it.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 17 Feb 2020 01:17

Thanks for sharing!

Return to “First World War”