HM Factory Gretna

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
South

HM Factory Gretna

Post by South » 14 Feb 2019, 11:16

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ctory.html

Good morning all,

Article per...loaded with super pictures, both photos and a couple of post cards.

Note the post card warning about romancing. Note the waste of precious funds to warn against romancing.

Well, what if the better color and better flavor of lipstick was a rationed item ? War is hell.

Those 9 mile factories ! Note "fisher girls".

Now, something here is just my reaction because of my persona and worldview coupled to what I've experienced here on the planet. Ms Hewitt tells of "My research ...and they ended up marrying the girls here..." How much research was needed ?
Ms Hewitt's research reminds me of something funny I read about 40 years ago. Some human trash in California kidnapped a young woman and kept her confined in a buried moving van. Forgot the British English term for a large trailer to relocate household stuff......The article reported that the FBI rapidly traced the moving van to the Mayflower Moving Company. The next week, a letter to the editor of this magazine referenced this kidnapping story and asked how difficult was it for the FBI when the trailer had 4 and a half feet lettering with the Mayflower logo painted on the sides of the trailer.

Yes, Ms Hewitt, your research was correct and accurate.

I bemoan the local newspaper. What about predatory newspapers ?

Apparently the women's police and the hostel matrons spent more time at the social and recreation department than performing their jobs. Otherwise, why so many "women who fell pregnant" ?

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “First World War”