Harlem Hell Fighters of WWI

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
South

Harlem Hell Fighters of WWI

Post by South » 19 Feb 2019, 10:05

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/harlem ... rld-war-i/

Good morning all,

Per...

Great pictures in article.

Note the 369th Inf Reg issued the French Lebel Rifle; it was "temperamental and annoying to load".

The mentioned - bolo knife - ... Bolo was term from the US - Philippine experience. It was a large single edge knife used in Philippines as a weapon or a utensil. Occasionally, depending on context, a machete....but not here in article.

Note the unit's famous musician - James Reese Europe -.

Article is loaded with trench warfare history. Note why the overcoats were "modified". (A good quality sewing kit is a must have.) I do want to mention a personal experience well after the Great War Part 1. A coil of barbed wire is NOT moved "with ease". Note the soldiers' personal alert with wind-direction changes with relation to gas attacks.

Recommend read this article while listening to George Gershwin's "Am American in Paris".

I am now in the mood for a "pas -teese" (licorice -flavored health drink) see voo play, while listening to "Rhapsody in Blue".

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “First World War”