The bullet that killed millions

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
amitmis

The bullet that killed millions

Post by amitmis » 16 Apr 2020, 20:19

Hi,

I'm writing a novel taking place after WW1, and I want to dedicate an episode to the bullet that killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

I've managed to gather some information, such as that the bullet was a .380 ACP, but here's some information I would much like to know, that I couldn't find online:

1. Which factory manufactured that very bullet? I know it's Colt, but which Colt? Could it be a few that the bullet came from, or is there one? And where was that factory?

2. How much money does it cost to produce one such bullet (please represent the sum in today's dollar's worth)?

3. How long does it take to create a single bullet like that?

4. Is it one machine and one person manning that machine that produced it, or is it a multi-leveled process?

5. What are the steps to making a bullet from absolute scratch (please take into account the means and conditions that were available at the time, not the ones that are available nowadays)?

6. Where did the bullet go to after being produced? Was it immediately packed in a box and delivered to stores? And if so, which store was that particular bullet bought from?

7. How exactly did that kind of bullet work? What happens to it once the trigger is pulled? Or even better, what happens to it from the moment it is loaded from the clip into the barrel and up to the moment it has penetrated skin and bone and came out the other side falling to the floor (and is that what happened with Ferdinand, or did the bullet stay inside him?)?

8. I read that this bullet that killed the archduke is exhibited today in the Konopiste Castle in Czechia. How did it get there? Where did it go, and by whom was it taken (and how long after the shot was fired), from right after it left the archduke's body and up to this very day?

In other words, I want to chronicle the journey of this bullet, from before its inception as raw materials in the ground, and up to this moment.

I know it's a lot, but any help would be great,
any kind of information.
And much appreciated!

Thank you.
Amit.

Return to “First World War”