Equipment of French Reserve divisions in 1914

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Kelvin

Equipment of French Reserve divisions in 1914

Post by Kelvin » 20 Aug 2020, 15:38

Hi, everyone, on the eve of start of World War One, French raised 25 x Reserve divisions. I want to know the scale of their equipment.

On her German counterpart, its Reserve division were stripped of 105mm howitzer and three batteries of 77mm field guns, that mean German Reserve division only had 36 x 77mm field guns instead of 54.

Every French division was authorized to have 36 x 75mm model 1897 field guns and another 48 guns were held at corp level.

I want to know if French Reserve division had same scale of equipment or less ?

And its Corps equivalent : GDR, also had 75mm gun ? Thank

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Equipment of French Reserve divisions in 1914

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 20 Aug 2020, 23:39

Kelvin wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 15:38
Hi, everyone, on the eve of start of World War One, French raised 25 x Reserve divisions. I want to know the scale of their equipment.

On her German counterpart, its Reserve division were stripped of 105mm howitzer and three batteries of 77mm field guns, that mean German Reserve division only had 36 x 77mm field guns instead of 54.
That is correct. 36 77mm cannon. However it is not correct to say they were "stripped" of 105mm cannon. These formations did not have that cannon as standard equipment.
Every French division was authorized to have 36 x 75mm model 1897 field guns and another 48 guns were held at corp level.
That matches the secondary source I have.
I want to know if French Reserve division had same scale of equipment or less ?
Yes. One regiment of 36 75mm cannon.
And its Corps equivalent : GDR, also had 75mm gun ? Thank
Not as standard on mobilization in August. The French reserve corps were more of a pool of second tier formations. To be drawn on to reinforce or replace losses in the 'Active' corps & divisions. They were not as well organized as tactical formations as the German equivalent. Circumstances caused the French to use the reserve corps as tactical formations similar to how the Germans had adopted earlier. In the latter 19th Century the general practice was to regard the 'reserve' formations as a replacement pool from which losses could be made good, or new front line corps could be organized and trained. The ambitious and aggressive German war plans caused them to organize a more tactically capable reserve corps to enlarge the field armies. Other nations took note and were investigating or preparing for this.

Kelvin

Re: Equipment of French Reserve divisions in 1914

Post by Kelvin » 21 Aug 2020, 13:30

Hello, Carl, thank for your detailed answer. German ambition explained the difference between German and her French counterpart. I have made calculation that how many reserve divisions raised by great powers in August 1914.
German raised 3rd Guards Infantry Division from excess troop from Guards Corps and used cavalry units in infantry division to build 10 x Cavalry Divisions. And also established 31 x Reserve divisions, including 1st and 2nd Guards Infantry divisions with 14th Army Corps including Guards Army Corps.

On the other side, French raised 25 reserve divisions in August 1914 and set up 4 x GDR with 4 divisions each.

Russia also raised 35 Reserve divisions (53-84 Rifle divisions and 12-14 Siberian Rifle divisions)

But I see Austro-Hungarian Army only set up 9 more divisions by the end of 1914. Her number of divisions seemed very little in comparsion with other powers, Is it reserve units provide manpower mostly to existing divisions ? Thank

Return to “First World War”