Help Identifying this Uniform?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
jluetjen

Help Identifying this Uniform?

Post by jluetjen » 07 Sep 2020, 22:04

Th Jensen Front.jpg
I've been scratching my head over this picture for quite some time. It was found in an old family scrap-book. The photo studio was in Flensburg -- which would possibly suggest someone in Füsilier-Regiment Königin (Schleswig-Holsteinisches) Nr. 86. The shoulder-straps seem to be close -- white with a crown, but the cypher seems to be a bit of a well-- cypher.

Here's the largest that I could scan and blow-up the shoulder strap...
Flensburg detail.jpg
On one hand, the uniform is consistent with this picture in regards to the cuffs and the shoulder boards, but the shoulder boards in that picture are not as clear.

The confusion for me is that the cypher doesn't look anything like these...

But digging around on the internet as I type this has revealed this postcard from the period where the cyphers seem to be a better fit. So maybe mystery solved.

Given the obvious blue uniform, the picture would seem to date before 1914.

Any thoughts?

altenwerth

Re: Help Identifying this Uniform?

Post by altenwerth » 09 Oct 2020, 05:47

I have been searching for so long and haven't found any uniform which has the same with the one if your picture. I wonder if you has determined the wrong period or not because the uniforms before 1914 of most of countries were different from this one. Looks like it came from Russia, I think :? friv

monk2002uk

Post by monk2002uk » 09 Oct 2020, 07:40

These look to be colleagues from the same regiment, both captioned as Fusiliers. The caption also notes that these were parade uniforms and that the photos were taken around 1900:

Robert

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 09 Oct 2020, 16:19

Interesting. Thank-you.

altenwerth; I'm pretty sure that the uniform is German given the "Flensburg" address of the photography studeo.

Return to “First World War”