Identity please

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
alexzouv

Identity please

Post by alexzouv » 30 Jan 2021, 11:41

Can someone please put a name to that general?
Maybe Er7ch von Falkenhayn or someone else?
Do not know anything about WW1
Attachments
image_4870650(2).jpg
image_4870650(2).jpg (49.34 KiB) Viewed 1404 times

jluetjen

Re: Identity please

Post by jluetjen » 05 Feb 2021, 16:46

Taken out of context this can be difficult.

Do you have a larger version of the image? It's obviously a detail from a larger group picture -- do you have the larger picture? These pictures often have captions - getting this would also be helpful too.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 06 Feb 2021, 14:53

I have "adjusted" and enlarged the photo a little bit, more was not possible:

I am not sure, it was Erich von Falkenhayn, sorry..?

Hans1906

P.S. In the very small village 26160 Dreibergen in my north german homeland, there is a gravesite of the "von Falkenhayn" family
on the local graveyard. (26160 is the german Zip code)
If it is a branch of the family is not known to me.
Unfortunately, I do not have exact data, but the name "von Falkenhayn" is quite well known in the district of Ammerland.
Attachments
General.JPG
General.JPG (42.72 KiB) Viewed 534 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 08 Feb 2021, 20:21

It very well could be... but it's hard to say for sure. The facial features generally resemble him, but it's hard to say since he's looking down and not facing the camera. They are also not particularly distinctive. Lots of people have similar features. Also von Falkenhayn generally looked straight at the camera when pictures were taken of him, and this person isn't doing this.

1) Most pictures of von Falkenhayn have him wearing an M1903 double-breasted jacket, which seemed to be his favorite style. There are some pictures of him wearing a single-breasted waffenrock shown in your picture, but they are not as common.

2)Looking at the awards, he's not wearing his Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Military Merit with Swords at his neck, as often appears in his pictures also. He had apparently been awarded that prior to 1907, so the timing of the award shouldn't be an issue. The Iron Cross ribbon on the button of the person in the picture is not particularly distinctive.

3) It's hard to see the shoulder boards clearly to identify the specifics of his rank. The Alt-Larisch collar tabs identify him as a Prussian General officer (not a Field Marshal though). Once again most pictures of him do not show him wearing Alt-Larishes, but rather just the normal barred collor tabs as shown in the pictures under point 1 above. That being said, in this picture of von Falkenhayn he's wearing a tunic similar to the one in your picture.

4) The only other feature that I could think to check was his ear. Apparently they are fairly unique to people and generally don't change. von Falkenhayn clearly has detached ear lobes as shown in this picture. It's hard to say if the person in your picture has the same ears. Once again this is because most pictures of von Falkenhayn don't show the side of his head.

It's hard to say if it is him or not. I'd give it maybe a 75% chance of being von Falkenhayn.

Return to “First World War”