German Late War Chemical Warfare

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Thuringii

German Late War Chemical Warfare

Post by Thuringii » 08 Aug 2021, 04:28

Good evening Gentlemen,

I am doing some research on some of Germany's chemical warfare efforts late in the war. While admittedly an obscure topic, and albeit sometimes a difficult one to research I look forward to anyone's reply, and encourage the sharing of information - even if it seems insignificant.
Firstly I'm interested in a few aspects of the Blue Cross Agents. Does anyone know how much these agents were used after the spring 1918 offensive? Admittedly it was later found that the artillery shells containing Clark 1 (Diphenylchloroarsine) did not atomize the agent enough to be optimally effective, hence of the waste of large amounts of shells probably numbering the the millions. But what about Clark 2 (Diphenylcyannoarsine), does anyone know if this agent was more effective, or any aspects whatsoever concerning it's use? There are also references to another agent called N-Ethylcarbazole - was this agent even used or just at a evaluation stage when the war ended? I would also be curious to know if anyone knows of any other agents were used besides the already mentioned and methyl/ethyldichloroarsine?

I also read somewhere, a long time ago that Germany was searching for a vesicant agent even more persistent than LOST (Mustard Gas) at the time of the Armistice. Can anyone vouch for this, or know of any possible agents that were being evaluated? I assume it was in all probability something to slow down the Allied advance as much as possible as they drew nearer and nearer to the Fatherland. If anyone knows of any plans on the German side for 1919 (tactics, types and ratios to be used etc) I would be most interested in that as well.

By late 1918 the Allies were using Mustard against the Germans, who were caught by surprise. Does anyone know if any special anti-gas suits, skin ointments etc were introduced to counter this? I know the Americans and French developed oilcloth suits, gloves and overboots to deal with the persistent agents? Chloride of Lime was a effective decontamination chemical I have read, does anyone know of any others that were used?

Anyways, I am aware that is a lot of questions of a first time poster. I'm a sort of information hoarder I guess. Thanks to everyone who looks and reads!! As stated before - don't hesitate to share anything you know, nothing is insignificant.

Greetings and best wishes to everyone in the USA, Europe and else-ware !!!

Return to “First World War”