WW1 extraordinary collection of soldier's drawings

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Louis XIV

WW1 extraordinary collection of soldier's drawings

Post by Louis XIV » 04 Nov 2022, 10:31

While effecting my research I came across this beautiful collection of drawings and watercolours by a gifted French soldier about his time at the front.
It's well worth having a perusal.
https://www.etsy.com/fr/shop/BeyondtheTimes
il_1588xN.1699942685_85a0.jpg

Hans1906
Banned

Re: WW1 extraordinary collection of soldier's drawings

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Nov 2022, 17:20

Hi Louis XIV,

thanks for your hint, are you the seller of these works ?

I myself have been collecting modern graphics, pen drawings, pencil and charcoal drawings, as well as etchings and comparable works for decades.
As a collector, not as a dealer.

Not any original works about the war in my collection, rather abstract works and landscapes, people, etc.
The prices asked for above works are quite reasonable, but unfortunately that's not what I collect.

Sometimes you can find private portfolios of German artists at flea markets for little money, including works from the wars.
It takes intuition to grab it, these works were not and are not always a good buy, but sometimes there is a small treasure among them...

Thank you very much for your hint. :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Nov 2022, 17:56

It also makes no sense to sell such a bundle individually, the asking prices cannot be achieved, certainly not.
The amount of drawings makes this work interesting, given the artist's well-known background.
Tearing up this estate, selling it off to the highest bidder, selling it off, that doesn't make any sense.

But that's very typical, you're trying to maximize your profit, and at the same time you're destroying what is sure to be a one-off legacy. It was, and is very often is, that greed overpowers art.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Louis XIV

Post by Louis XIV » 05 Nov 2022, 18:36

Surprising last comment ! What you ignore is that the whole collection has already been recommended to, and viewed by, several important libraries and museums, and turned down, even spurned by one particular curator. It's better to then divide it to those who might like to acquire some of the pieces. You are of course welcome to make an offer of the whole collection should you wish to preserve it.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Nov 2022, 19:25

With what you wrote I would not buy a single sheet in this auction.
The market for modern art, and these works are nothing else, is profit-oriented through and through.

Look at the art market, all this nonsense has nothing to do with art in the actual sense, it's an investment, rich idiots pay absurd sums in order to sell their investments a few years later for double or even x times the amount.

Nothing against the drawings above, I find them very beautiful and I was able to buy similar ones myself for little money.

And I notice, we talk/argue to each other, unfortunately, that's the nature of non-verbal communication.

Hans
* It was my fault for even replying to this topic, sorry.

Return to “First World War”