Affair at Nery, 1st September, 1914, Miscellaneous

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Mimsy Borogove

Affair at Nery, 1st September, 1914, Miscellaneous

Post by Mimsy Borogove » 07 Oct 2023 21:47

Hello, everybody. I have 3 Questions regarding the Affair at Nery. First, i read that the 17th Dragoon Regiment was held in reserve, and from the available Maps it seems as though they were in the immediate Vicinity of Feu Farm. It looks as if it was in Rifle Range of the British Positions, and if so, would the 17th Dragoons be firing upon them? Secondly, i have come across a mention of a Cavalry charge by the 17th Dragoons towards British Men lying in a Field. Do you know any of the finer Details, such as if they were attacking the Queen's Bays or L Battery, and was it near the Sugar Beet Factory? Thirdly, there was a Ruckus at the Sugar Beet Factory between the 18th Dragoon Regiment, who drove British Troops out of the Factory, and the British Troops, who sometime later returned to destroy the German Machine Gun Emplacement. Details would much appreciated.

This is a Map that i have been using for Reference.
https://www.britishbattles.com/wp-conte ... 1200-1.jpg

Sheldrake

Re: Affair at Nery, 1st September, 1914, Miscellaneous

Post by Sheldrake » 07 Oct 2023 23:46

Mimsy Borogove wrote:
07 Oct 2023 21:47
Hello, everybody. I have 3 Questions regarding the Affair at Nery. First, i read that the 17th Dragoon Regiment was held in reserve, and from the available Maps it seems as though they were in the immediate Vicinity of Feu Farm. It looks as if it was in Rifle Range of the British Positions, and if so, would the 17th Dragoons be firing upon them? Secondly, i have come across a mention of a Cavalry charge by the 17th Dragoons towards British Men lying in a Field. Do you know any of the finer Details, such as if they were attacking the Queen's Bays or L Battery, and was it near the Sugar Beet Factory? Thirdly, there was a Ruckus at the Sugar Beet Factory between the 18th Dragoon Regiment, who drove British Troops out of the Factory, and the British Troops, who sometime later returned to destroy the German Machine Gun Emplacement. Details would much appreciated.

This is a Map that i have been using for Reference.
https://www.britishbattles.com/wp-conte ... 1200-1.jpg
I know Nery quite well, commanding of B Dorrell Troop of L Nery Battery in 1985.
Here is a photo I took at the Centenary in 2014
13 Pdr Nery.jpg
Here is another map I think from the British Official History
nery.jpg
One from the RA History
nery_2.jpg

and one I think from the Battleground Europe Book "Affair at Nery".
nery-map-edited.jpg
As you can see the different maps show slightly different intertpretations. Regarding your questions

1. Was it possible that the 17th Dragoons took part in a rifle exhange with the British? Maybe. I'll dig out the Affair at Nery Battleground Book.

2. Re the supposed mounted charge by the 17th Dragoons. I have not heard it mentioned. I would be surprised if any mounted charge could come close to the British positions.

We tend to focus on the heroism of the Gunenrs of L Battery for obvious reasons. However there is another way of telling the tale. The village of Nery was occupied by several hundred troopers of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade billeted overnight in the houses. In 1914 British cavalry were equipped with the same SMLE rifle issued to infantry soldiers, and trained to a high standard of marksmanship. Each regiment had two Hotckiss machine guns. I suspect the 3rd Cavalry Brigade put out a fair amout of firepower. The Germans tried to deploy field artillery and a battery of machine guns within rifle range of skilled shots concealed behind cover. The British learned not to do this in the Boer War. The Germans found out on 1 Sep at Nery. The same applied to mounted manouvres.

3. The details of the ruckus at the sugar beet factory? Dunno - I'll dig out the Affair at Nery Battleground Book.

What is your interest in Nery?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “First World War”